Engine Swap parts list thread? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine Swap parts list thread?

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 03-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Engine Swap parts list thread?

I know there are many threads out there about swapping SBC, SBF, 4.0L, etc., into our CJs, but has anyone ever come across any threads with just a list of what was needed and the options for parts? Starting to seriously start gathering parts for my 302 swap, and would love to find all the info in one location. I know there are always variables, but at least a list of parts and maybe even P/N would be good for a quick reference. A list maybe containing all JY parts usable, with aftermarket options for radiators, exhaust manifolds (over headers), etc.

My plan is really simple, keeping the T177/D300, so all I can see me needing is the engine, using MORE mounts, bellhousing, starter, radiator hoses, some wiring. I want to keep cast manifolds for simplicity and reliability, but what donor? I thought I read you could use F150 manifolds, but then it sounded like you couldn't. Can I keep the 258's radiator and adapt hoses? Room for a V-belt fan or will electric be needed? It has V-belts already, just going to keep them. May go serp with the EFI swap.

I want EFI, but I am thinking more and more on just using the carb engine I have for now, get it swapped in and those parts figured out, then later on going to EFI. More work in the long run, but I have that engine, need to get my driveshaft angles and such fixed, and I can't do the driveline without the engine in there - not going to have the driveshafts shortened/lengthened more than once, it is a waste of money.

Can we get a thread of nothing but parts, and without a lot of commentary? I read the build threads, find them very informative, but they are stretched over so long of time that parts and pieces and trials and errors can be distracting. Maybe if you did a build thread, just post what you used?

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
CSP

Because there are soooo many variables I don't see how you couldn't get commentary along with part numbers.

A 5.0 out of a Mustang is going to use different parts than say a 5.0 out of a Mercury sedan which is going to use different parts than a 5.8 out of a pickup with GT40 heads from an Explorer 5.0, just for example and those are all Fords.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Well, maybe everyone that has done it could post what they used for a donor, then what they used for their swap? Dunno. I am just trying to make it easier for myself and others...

Also seems many swap over to a Mustang wiring and ECU, so that makes me think a lot of parts are similar enough. I know many pulley systems are swapped over to vans or Mustang setups.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
kappa505
1980 CJ5 

I think people use the mustang wiring and computer because the after market engine harnesses are specific for mustangs. You are going to find too much variation in set ups and part numbers for a list to be helpful. For example the bell housing I have mounted to my 302 is from a 80 f250 standard. Everywhere I read had no mention if this bell being able to bolt up. Clutch linkages will be different as will motor mounts.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." Supposedly President Coolidge
kappa505 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #5
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

My friend had a 78 Granada 302 in his with trans and transfer case from a 80's ford F250 diesel truck and a 9" rear.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.