Engine Swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine Swap

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #16
kw89425
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-Q View Post
I just did the swap three weeks ago. I had a 383 built by a race engine shop for free and I bought all of the accessories and I did the complete install at my buddies shop labor free. In the end it still cost me over $5,000 for everything from the aluminum radiator to the nearly $600 carb not to mention the tranny case adapter and the free custom exhaust. Heck I have over $700 invested in Tom Woods driveshafts alone.

It's an expensive project and I don't see you getting it done for $700 or less.

Good luck
free engine free labor you over paid for your radiator. wth was the 5k spent on?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my...oject-1019388/
kw89425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #17
Max-Q
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw89425 View Post
free engine free labor you over paid for your radiator. wth was the 5k spent on?
Headers, transfer case adapter, carb, radiator, alternator, water pump, March serpentine pulley kit, power steering pump, fuel pump, fuel pump rod, flex plate, motor mounts, braided hoses on everything, MSD ignition, MSD HEI distributor, new torque converter, tranny rebuild, Lokar shifter, Lokar throttle cable, linkage and kickdown cable, electric fan with temp switch, radiator shroud, air cleaner, misc bolts and AN fittings, new temp gauge and new tach, starter, heat shielding, driveshafts.

The stuff adds up fast and how did I over pay for my radiator? I bought an all aluminum 3 core radiator with tranny cooler for $250. How much did I "over pay"?
Max-Q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #18
kw89425
1986 CJ7 

i was just saying you said everything was free it was just a comment. you bought alot of unessary that cost a ton which is fine thats what you wanted but dont tell a guy how expensive it is if your going to count the stuff that the average guy wont buy. again im not knocking im just sayin it doesnt take the expensive stuff to do a swap braided hoses on everything not needed. MSD ignition nothing wrong with that but still not needed. Lokar shifter, Lokar throttle cable, linkage and kickdown cable can get much cheaper product. March serpentine pulley kit i got my pulleys out of the junk yard for 5 bucks. thats what i call throwing money at a project again thats fine but you cant put your expense against an average egine swap. you have more money in fancy big name parts than i have in my whole jeep.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my...oject-1019388/
kw89425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #19
TxJeeper20
1982 CJ5 

I added up the essential parts
and it will run me little under 2k for everything minus the engine fuel system ( donor truck) but here is the brakedown

- Headers - $245 or any shorty block hugging header will work, or retain stock

- Radiator $185

- Fan - retain the stock fan

- Motor Mounts $64.95 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-4100/

- Adapter from Chev. 350 to AX15 GMAX15, $292.00, http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_gmax15.htm

- Adapter from AX15 to Jeep Dana 300 - #153, $136.00, http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_153.htm

- Hydraulic clutch components TBD

- AX-15 tranny $750-950(w/o core) www.southweststandardtransmission.com

there will be odds and ends to still buy but for just the meat and potatoes no gravy is round less then $2000

I am keeping the manifolds as durability is what im after dont see spending 200 bucks for headers get just a few more hp and they crack

the shop doing it is going use whatever hydraulic clutch parts they can from my donor truck since I am sticking with the same bellhousing off my 91 with the external slave and the tranny im swapping in is hydraulic clutch as well

hey if anyone else can suggest to help me out with goodies I need pllease feel free to im letting the shop just install it straight out of the truck I will dress it up my self when im home from afghanistan

the engine is a recently rebuilt TBI 350 out of 1991 2500 it has less HP than the 1500s but more tourque

the shop i am using has been recomemned buy many people in my area for car restorations , the owner himself is undertaking my build and is taking lots of pictures for me since I wont be there and its gunna be around 8k for the paint parts labor he already knows what he needs but I want to do the research and know what I am talking bout so I will have an understanding of what he is doing what he will need and if he tryes to screw me on parts lol from everyone I have talked ot he has always had recipts and is very honest but I want to go there with my guns loaded
2003 Honda VTX 1300R
2005 Infiniti G35
TxJeeper20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 03:56 AM   #20
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

Add $500 and double it, you'll be close in the end. Stay safe over there,
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:09 AM   #21
ruthole
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm also doing a motor swap doing all the work myself (with a motor swapping veteran) and this all sounded easier before I read all of this and got to thinking about it haha two solid nights of work just got upped to two solid weekends of work haha

Lone jeep club member #1

[QUOTE=TMSquy;13470729]If parts aint flyin you aint tryin![/QUOTE]
ruthole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.