Engine still steam after new radiator? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine still steam after new radiator?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 05-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
NickP84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Engine still steam after new radiator?

1984 CJ7, just punctured a whole in my radiator, bought a new one from autozone http://http://www.autozone.com/autoz...6165_266441_0_ put it on today, drives okay engine doesnt get super super hot but will steam.

Only thing i can think of/ noticed was that the radiator cap doesnt seem to fit very tight like it should.

Would that possibly be why it is steaming?

Anyone else have any suggestions or thoughts as what it could be?

Thanks a bunch
NIck

NickP84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
lordhelemt

replace the cap then run to operating temp, let it cool, then top off the system. repeat until you've got all the air out of the system.
lordhelemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
NickP84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Sounds good, one problem though... lol

temp gauge doesnt work, replaced the temp sensor and still doesnt work, my assumption would be electrical which i havent gotten around to doing

Also the genius i bought it from DID NOT have the surge tank connected to the radiator, he was just running the radiator without the coolant surge tank,
not sure why, i looked at it and i feel stupid saying this, but for the life of me i cannot figure out how the darn thing even connects to the radiator, hose from radiator doesnt fit anywhere on tank, i am pretty confused at this point.

Was running fine without the tank being connected before though.

Thoughts?
Unread 05-22-2013, 05:19 AM   #4
lordhelemt

Was the temp gauge working before?

when you pull the cap can you see fluid? Also get a new cap if its not seated firmly.
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
NickP84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

I can see fluid in the radiator yes.

And no the temp gauge wasnt working which is why i bought the sensor, and still wont work.
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
lordhelemt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickP84CJ7 View Post
I can see fluid in the radiator yes.

And no the temp gauge wasnt working which is why i bought the sensor, and still wont work.
Chech the ground on the back of the temp gauge. As for the rad not sure why its steaming since iys new. Just make sure to give it a good burp and all the air is out of there. you may wsnt to measure the specific gravity make sure you have the correct antifreeze/water ratio.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.