Engine sputters at half a tank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine sputters at half a tank

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
BrockGrimes

Engine sputters at half a tank

I'm pretty sure my gas gauge is working properly.
I'll be driving and the jeep will start to surge, spit, and sputter.
If i pump the gas i can kinda keep it going to a max of about 35mph or half throttle, but then eventually it'll shut off.
If it shuts off, it'll be hard to start for a couple min. then it starts and drives fine.
This happens around half a tank.

I was figuring crap in the gas but I run 2 fuel filters, 1 before fuel pump and 1 before carb, and it runs fine after I get it restarted.

WTFO?

USN Jeep Club Hull #1
CJ Forum
BrockGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
OlivergreenCJ7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder if it could be a float problem. Would make it easier knowing the engine, carb , etc.
OlivergreenCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #3
BrockGrimes

258, carter carb, don't see it being a float as it runs fine as long as it's above half a tank.
Was thinking a pickup but it runs fine after it restarts.
USN Jeep Club Hull #1
CJ Forum
Unread 09-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
kercher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

how old are the fuel line hoses?
is there any gas in the fuel filter when it shuts off?
kercher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Maybe a hole in the fuel draw line in the tank. That's my guess.. When the fuel level reaches the hole the fuel pump can't pump enough cause it's coming out the hole and going back into the tank..
zillla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Check your evaporate emissions canister filter on the bottom it maybe plugged.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
CJfreak
1975 CJ5 

X2 on what zillla said
Unread 09-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Make sure there isn't major vacuum when you loosen the cap next time it happens. If not, then it's not the tank holding the suction back. The "sock" in the tank collapses from being softened up by the MTBE and alcohol in fuel. Kind of like a sock stuck in the end of a vacuum. Nothing gets past it till you pull it out. I removed mine and left the one before the fuel pump.
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
h2ojeep
1978 CJ7 

I had the same problem. the advise listed before, (hole in the line, vacuum, and canister filter) are all good ideas to check. I would add looking at the fuel filter just before the carb and make sure the return line is above the supply line (12 oclock) on the carburetor side of the filter and also pressure check your fuel pump (even if it is a new pump).

And check to make sure you dont have a small hole or loose conection in the line from the tank to the fuel pump (thus pulling air).(you will probably have to find some way to pressure the line someway to check that)

Recently someone ran a thread, and had connected a vacuum line to the return line on the filter (pulling a vaccum on the tank).... just fishing, but check to make sure

I would also ask to another symptom: does it act like a vapor lock? and work better when cooled down some? Does the problem go away when you fill the tank?
h2ojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
BrockGrimes

Like stated above runs perfect, idles great, till about half a tank, then it'll surge, sputters then cut off, I pump the gas and turn it over a couple times it starts then runs just fine till I get home or to teh gas station, I refill then drive it till the next time.

With the ability to drive it before and after it happens I'm not inclined to believe it's a fuel supply issue unless trash in the tank is causing it, but settles out of the way once it's shut off for a min or so. I have seen this happen on having to big a rubber line up near the pump or carb. Maybe the ignition module is getting to warm?

The rubber near the mech. pump and carb are newer, and the fuel filters also, the one at the carb is turned the right way and the lines are connected properly.
USN Jeep Club Hull #1
CJ Forum
Unread 09-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

Maybe try to run it without that extra fuel filter before the pump?
Unread 09-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuck View Post
Make sure there isn't major vacuum when you loosen the cap next time it happens. .....
This almost sounds like you're not letting air into the tank becuase of a plugged vent. You just can't keep on sucking out gas without replacing it with air in the tank.

Try driving around with a loose gas cap. Just don't loose it though.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
BrockGrimes

Wouldn't it stay vacuumed? After it shuts down I crank it a couple times and it starts.
USN Jeep Club Hull #1
CJ Forum
Unread 09-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Depends upon how well it's sealed. A perfect seal would stay vacuumed but nothing is perfect on a CJ. Your Gas cap could have a dry o-ring on it or some small seal will leak but not fast enough compaired when your driving.

Could also be a fuel hose that is collapsing when the engine is sucking gas harder. As soon as you stop, it gives a second for the hose to pop out again.

Then again it could be the first fuel filter plugging up also.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
BrockGrimes

I added the first filter because I thought maybe it had trash getting through the filter by the carb.
I figured a vaccum issue would appear long before half a tank.
It's weird.
USN Jeep Club Hull #1
CJ Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.