Engine Smothers - Didn't yesterday - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine Smothers - Didn't yesterday

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Engine Smothers - Didn't yesterday

I drove my jeep into work today(79 258). It has been running like a top. Now, when I get in the gas (not a whole lot above idle) it acts like it's smothering, like the choke is on. Strange that it happened all of a sudden. What's everyone think?

Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
chill254
1984 CJ8 

If you feather the throttle to accelerate does it do it then? Also when was the last time you rebuilt the carb?
chill254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

Dumb question, but have you made sure the choke is not actually coming on? You probably have but it never hurts to ask. How does the motor run otherwise, is the idle smooth? Have you verified that your timing has not changed?

A little more info would be helpful too. Like carb type, ignition, and upgrades, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Carter BBD. If I feather it stops. No mods. Non emissions engine. Rebuilt maybe 10k ago at most. Idles smooth.
Unread 07-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
chill254
1984 CJ8 

Is it in any gear? If you were say in the low to mid range of third and you punched it does it do it then or only when you are coming off a stop? Same when it cold or warm (the engine)?
Unread 07-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #6
77cj52009
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I'm dealing with the same thing. Mine seems to be worst when going up hills though.

If I feather the throttle, the engine runs much better. But if I get on it - not so good.

If anybody has any ideas to help us out, it would be great.
77cj52009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
KrazyGimp
1982 CJ5 

I ditched mine a long time ago so I don't know much about those BBD's other than they are notorious for things like that. I would say take the carb off, pull it apart, clean it out as good as possible and replace any gaskets while you are in there. There is a writeup floating around here somewhere that addresses the BBD and has some suggestions on how to make it run better but I can't find it at the moment.

Did you check your timing too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK
...that's why you push in that little nipple (hehe.. I said nipple on the internet :D )
KrazyGimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill254 View Post
Is it in any gear? If you were say in the low to mid range of third and you punched it does it do it then or only when you are coming off a stop? Same when it cold or warm (the engine)?
Low to mid range third especially. If I punch it in second or third it chokes. Up hills are the worst like the other guy said. It just started doing it today.
Unread 07-14-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
Fireman101
1974 CJ5 

Check fuel pressure and fuel lines too. If you have a bad fuel line with a split in it, this will also cause this reaction when you press on the gas. The fuel pump pulls air in through the line and starves the carb for fuel. Best way to do this is pull the fuel line apart before the pump and put some air pressure on it to see if the line is solid with no leaks.
Fireman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #10
chill254
1984 CJ8 

When you punch the gas the accel pump should be shooting fuel into the carb to make up for the sudden drop in signal. Feathering the throttle allows the carb signal to come up and allows the main jets to supply the fuel. When you are going up a hill usually some type of inrichment system will kick in to cover for the increased load on the eigine. I am no expert on the bbd though.

Try this, crank up the jeep for a minute to build up the fuel. Then turn it off and take the air cleaner off. Pull the choke open and look for a small squirter near the main barrel. Then pull the throttle and look for a shot of fuel. It should be a good constant stream and then after a moment it will end.

Also try shooting some carb cleaner in the air bleeds and the main jets and see if that helps.

Quote:
Check fuel pressure and fuel lines too. If you have a bad fuel line with a split in it, this will also cause this reaction when you press on the gas. The fuel pump pulls air in through the line and starves the carb for fuel. Best way to do this is pull the fuel line apart before the pump and put some air pressure on it to see if the line is solid with no leaks.
Good idea
Unread 07-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I was thinking the same as chill here on the accelerator, Check for it squirting gas when you pump the throttle.

Quote:
This is a good idea but the fuel line should not build up any pressure. The vents in the tank should allow any pressure to bleed off into the charchole canister. To tell the truth, I can't think of an easy way to check this from one side of the fuel line. When mine leaked it left a trail on the cross over by the leak.

You might be able to put a hand vacuum pump on the line and see if you pump up gas without sucking any air also. Do it like you would bleed a brake line with a vacuum pump.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #12
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

I'm storing it inside. If the fuel line was leaking, I would smell it. I'm thinking accel pump. I'll look into it this afternoon. If I tap tap tap then hammer the throttle, I scoot on down the road. Thanks for the help guys.
Unread 07-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #13
Fireman101
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I was thinking the same as chill here on the accelerator, Check for it squirting gas when you pump the throttle.

This is a good idea but the fuel line should not build up any pressure. The vents in the tank should allow any pressure to bleed off into the charchole canister. To tell the truth, I can't think of an easy way to check this from one side of the fuel line. When mine leaked it left a trail on the cross over by the leak.

You might be able to put a hand vacuum pump on the line and see if you pump up gas without sucking any air also. Do it like you would bleed a brake line with a vacuum pump.

Right but the point of the air pressure is to see if there is an opening in the line. I have done this several times to find a crack in a fuel line or where a rubber fuel line has rubbed a hole. If its a very small crack or leak I dont think it would cause this issue anyway.
Unread 07-17-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
Fireman101
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arharlow View Post
I'm storing it inside. If the fuel line was leaking, I would smell it. I'm thinking accel pump. I'll look into it this afternoon. If I tap tap tap then hammer the throttle, I scoot on down the road. Thanks for the help guys.
I would check it...I was also storing mine in a garage never gave me any indication. I am the type that trys to troubleshoot the cheap stuff first.
Unread 08-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Update - It was the fuel pump. Just replaced it today. Runs like a top. Guess my tank is getting a little rusty. The pump I replaced was only a little over a year old.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.