Engine Runs Backwards After Turning Off... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine Runs Backwards After Turning Off...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 09-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Engine Runs Backwards After Turning Off...

I can't remember what it's called, but when I turn my key off the motor runs backwards. I know this is bad. It has pretty much always done it since I've had it. (two years) I have done many upgrades since I bought it. Carb, nutter, plugs, wires. I never really bothered with it since it was just a turn or two. Now last night it was quite fast and for about five seconds or so... This got me really concern. I don't want to damage the valves or rods. The motor is a 150 with only 34,000 on it. Any ideas what I can do to stop this? The timing seems to be right on where it should be so what else could be the cause?

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
KMD
1976 CJ7 

running lean or too hot. Is the egr still hooked up and working? The egr helps keep cylinders cool. Also try running some seafoam through it to clean any carbon off the pistons.
Unread 09-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
JimNut
1986 CJ7 

Its usually referred to as dieseling. I think R08ert pretty much nailed it. You can also try and retard your timing a few degree's and see if that helps any.

JimNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Also make sure your throttle is closed far enough at idle. You should be ideling around 600-800 RPM or you will get dieseling. Having the idle set to high allows a rich mixture to enter the engine and if there is any carbon build up. It will fire off the mixture without a spark.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Ok, I do not have the EGR hooked up. As far as the idle adjustment, I think that is ok. It did the same thing with the carter carb so I am thinking it's not that. It may have carbon bill up as the thing sat almost 10 years before I got it. Even if it has only 34,000 on it, old oil can cause carbon piles too. Now will the seafoam clog my oil filter? I just did an oil change on it. I did notice one thing though. If I pull up somewhere and turn the key right off it diesels worst. If I let it idle a few seconds, it isn't as bad...

Paved Roads
Quote:

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
Unread 09-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
CSP

Sounds like you may have the timing set too far advanced and possibly a lean fuel mixture creating hot spots in the cylinders. Letting it idle allows the cylinders to cool down.

Carbon buildup doesn't come from non-use. We're talking about carbon deposits in the combustion chamber as a result of bad fuel mixture, cheap gas, the wrong spark plug heat index, etc.

What is your idle speed? Saying you "think" it's ok really doesn't mean anything.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
leavundst
1984 CJ7 

Mine does the same thing and a friend is telling me it's a timing issue. Mine will also occasionally shut down fine. But 90% of the time it does not.
leavundst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
dzride
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Most of the time it's because of timing. Just turn distributor 5-10 min clockwise. I hope it helps.
dzride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
79cj7stone
1979 CJ7 

it timing! my motor was doing it after a rebuild and we adjusted the timing and it hasnt done it since so go with the timing!
79cj7stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #10
dfuss
1979 CJ7 

I adjusted my timing to 8° last week from 6° (Nutter done by PO, trying to tune it up to what's recommended by the forum) and it immediately started doing as you describe when I turn it off. It had never done it before, so I can only assume it is the culprit.
Unread 09-17-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
KMD
1976 CJ7 

if your timing is good and you hook the egr back up I am pretty sure your problem will be gone. You may even get to run a little more advance. Egr makes a big difference in cylinder temp.
Unread 09-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Anyone have a break down on the vac lines for the EGR? Mine came unhooked.

Paved Roads
Quote:

Unread 09-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuss View Post
I adjusted my timing to 8° last week from 6° (Nutter done by PO, trying to tune it up to what's recommended by the forum) and it immediately started doing as you describe when I turn it off. It had never done it before, so I can only assume it is the culprit.
When I did the bypass and checked the timing, it was right on 8° without me making and adjustments. I have been cautious to how I shut down the engine and if I let it run once I stop it doesn't do it as bad. If I pull right up to some place and shut it right off, it gets worst.

Paved Roads
Quote:

Unread 09-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #14
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Vacuum leak or idle too high. Did you remove the electric kickdown on the side of the carb?
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #15
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
Anyone have a break down on the vac lines for the EGR? Mine came unhooked.

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.