Engine Problems, please help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine Problems, please help!!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-26-2003, 10:42 PM   #1
Mastermind

Engine Problems, please help!!

Went for a little wheeling tonight... BIG mud pit, up to almost the top of the hood. The engine stalled coming out of the mud, so I tried to start it, and it wouldnt. I let it sit for maybe 5 minutes, then tried again. It was gurgling really bad trying to start, and finally did. Once it was started it felt like I had no control over the throttle at all. I let it idle for a couple minutes then revved it up. I let my foot off the gas, and it kept revving. So I killed the ignition, and started it back up again, idled fine. Revved it up, did the same thing. Killed it. So I let it idle for a few more minutes and had my friend pull me out to the road. Stuck it back in 2wd, unlocked the hubs, the usual, and went to drive home. It was fine for maybe a 1/4 mile, then it started going faster and faster. Killed it, started it and kept going. Finally dropped of my friend, and got home, but it did it like 10 times on the way home. It's not every time i accelerate, just sometimes.

Specs:
'84 CJ-7
256 I6 engine
Holley 4-bbl carb w/ vacuum secondaries, on an Offenhauser intake manifold

Things I've already checked:
Air cleaner, the element is pretty well smashed, and dirty, but seems otherwise fine.
Throttle cable is NOT sticking. Even if i sit there and pull the throttle arm with my hand with the truck idling, it'll still do it every now and then.
Oh, and when I pulled the air filter off, I looked in the carb, and there's real fine dirt every where, but it doesnt seem like its being sucked in.

Also, when I got the Jeep, there was no vacuum line hooked to the carb, and about a week ago I spliced the vacuum line and hooked it up. It still seems like the secondaries are not kicking in, because they are dry.

Please, if you can offer me ANY advice it would be greatly appreciated!!

Unread 06-26-2003, 11:15 PM   #2
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are you saying that you started the engine and with the hood opened you rev the engine at the carb linkage and even if you force it closed it still revs up faster? Or is this only happening when you operate the throttle from inside the cab? If it's the latter, then try working the gas with the air cleaner off and at the linkage under the hood. Rev it up and tell us what happens. If you got a bunch of mud under the hood you may have it all over the linkage or the return springs.
Unread 06-26-2003, 11:19 PM   #3
Mastermind

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeep Daddy
Are you saying that you started the engine and with the hood opened you rev the engine at the carb linkage and even if you force it closed it still revs up faster?

Yes, even if I pull the carb linkage at the actual carb, it still does it. So I know it's not the cable.
Unread 06-26-2003, 11:38 PM   #4
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd pull the carb and check it out. Sounds like the butterflys are sticking or you got some crap stuck in the throat keeping it from closing all the way (sometimes)
Unread 06-27-2003, 05:59 AM   #5
Mastermind

Will it hurt it to spray carb cleaner into the carb while its running?

Also, someone suggested that I run a bottle of seafoam through. Will this help also?
Unread 06-27-2003, 06:59 AM   #6
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by Mastermind
Will it hurt it to spray carb cleaner into the carb while its running?
No - keep it reved up and go for it.

Quote:
[i]Also, someone suggested that I run a bottle of seafoam through. Will this help also? [/B]
Don't know about this. There are tank additives you can buy that are safe though.
Unread 06-27-2003, 12:34 PM   #7
Infedel

Distributor

Had similar problems when I got moisture in my distributor.
1" Body Lift
1" Shackle Lift
33x12.5" SSR Tires
Painless Wiring, Stainless Steel Dash
Infedel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2003, 03:56 PM   #8
Mastermind

Ok, this morning before work, I replaced the air filter, and sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb. Everything seems to be back to normal now. Just one other problem, which is the idle. It seems to be higher than usual, but I'll just adjust that when i get time.

Thanks for the help guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.