engine is loud with knocks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > engine is loud with knocks

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-26-2003, 09:41 PM   #1
jeepin cj-5

engine is loud with knocks

I just had the head of my 258 rebuilt but there is still alot of knocking noise in it. can the rockers be adjusted and could it have anything to do with the timing chain

jeepin cj-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2003, 11:25 PM   #2
Jeep Daddy
1985 CJ7 

So are you saying that it made this noise before you did the valve job? You may want to look at the bottom end and timing chain/gears etc.

I know that 258's have hydraulic lifters but have never done an initial setup of new lifters on a 258. Chevy's, Mopars, yes, AMC, NO.... Don't you have a Chiltons or Haynes?
85 CJ7 4.0L/SM465/Dana300/AMC20/Dana30, MPFI,154K miles - 33" 12.5's Pro Comp MT's, one piece axles, Detroit Softlocker rear, Lock Rite front, Warn Hubs, 4.56 R&P, 4" BDS lift, Warn x8000i, Warn winch guard, Hi-Lift, Tuffy console, Four X Dr. rocker guards, Rock Hard sport cage, Kilby OBA with 1.75 gal tank and York 10.3cc compressor, Tube fenders by GenRight Offroad, Fabricated rear bumper and tire carrier.
Jeep Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2003, 08:59 AM   #3
rustyCJ

just a guess but its not your head knocking, its your lifters. the 258 is notorious for noisy lifters. how many miles are on the engine? maybe its time for a new cam and lifters.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.