Engine Lift Plates - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine Lift Plates

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Engine Lift Plates

Looking ahead to when I pull the 360 out of the waggy...

Every engine I have pulled in the past I have done with a chain with hooks placed under the motor mounts. Never had any problem doing it just does not come out / in level all the time. I was thinking about buying a lift plate from advanced, under $20 I think.

Has anyone ever ran in to problems using one?? I see them all over the place, in stores on tv, but somehow lifting the engine by the manifold and 4 bolts sounds like a bad idea. Again I have seen it done many many times just wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences using on. Stock manifold BTW.

Unread 06-13-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I read an article in Hot Rod or Car Craft about them, how even in an aluminum intake the 4 bolts are large enough to handle an engine. I personally like to use a bolt in the front and rear of the opposite head with a chain attached to it. On 4 cyl engines i just find an attachment point and go with it. My 258, I'll have to lookto see how to attach to it - I'll let you know after this next week.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

as long as the intake bolt are good no problem - I have used them a lot
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #4
molawnboy
1983 CJ7 

I pulled a chevy motor with TBI and it only had 3 bolts. Easy to do. Built my own with scrap steel, drill press to bore out the holes, and presto motor outo.
Just beware, despite popular opinion, de-chroming your Jeep will not make it climb Everest, ford the Pacific, out run John Force, crawl up the side of the Grand Canyon, tow D-11 dozers out of the mud or even start every time for that matter. You need hi-steer for all that...
molawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
billybob535

On the AMC V8 I just use the outer most bolt hole in the front of the passenger side head and the outermost bolt hole in the back of the drivers side head. It seems to pull pretty even and I don't have to pull the carb. I do suggest using a high grade chain. I got a new one 6' long from home depot for less than $10. Its rated for a 2800# load. I have seen cheap/old ones break and ruin peoples day.
billybob535 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

On the AMC V8 I just use the outer most bolt hole in the front of the passenger side head and the outermost bolt hole in the back of the drivers side head.
And use the " motor lift" that all the FLAPS have w/ the threaded jobber that centers the assy.
Just don't trust 4 5/16 bolts and if it came loose, $#!+load full of broken parts/bones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.