Engine Kill switch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine Kill switch?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

Engine Kill switch?

Alright, I'm sick of adjusting the ignition switch, I can't get it right. Since the engine won't shut off I want to wire up a couple of switches, one to kill the engine, and one to completely shut off all power.

For the first, I would cut off the fuel pump, but the engine would still run until all the fuel in the carb was used up.... How else can I shut the engine off?

For the second, can I spice the switch into the power that goes to the ignition switch? This would shut off all electrical systems, correct?

SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Do you have a factory tach? If so, then this is easy. Go under the dash and disconnect the red/white wire and this kills the jeep. I put a kill switch locked inside my tuffy console for this.

I dont think it will kill power to the fuel pump, but I think it just kills ignition power since they are routed in series.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
davemci
1978 CJ7 

Open the coil by installing a toggle switch.
davemci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

I don't have a tach, so that won't work.

What else can I do?

thanks btw
Unread 02-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

OK... it seems like I came into the room just in time for the punch line.

I assume your ignition switch used to work...

What caused it to stop working? Did adjusting the ignition switch ever work? Did you change your ignition box?

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 11:04 PM   #6
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin View Post
OK... it seems like I came into the room just in time for the punch line.

I assume your ignition switch used to work...

What caused it to stop working? Did adjusting the ignition switch ever work? Did you change your ignition box?
Even in the "off" position, the ignition switch is still on acc. Adjusting the switch is hard as hell and I'm sick of screwing with it.

Copy/Paste from what I posted on my local 4x4 board

Quote:
So my ignition switch is screwed up, and there are only two positions, on, and accessory. I need to wire up switch(s) to kill the engine, and disconnect the battery (to prevent drain from being on acc.)

I'm fairly certian if I put the switch on the power to the ignition switch this would both shut off the engine and prevent battery drain. My thinking is that when the switch is powered the ignition circuit and radio draw power from the battery, but if they get no power they would shut off. This would allow for killing the engine AND prevent battery drain.

Sound right?

The wire in red, for reference

Unread 02-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

I hate to bump, but I need help
Unread 02-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWulf View Post
Adjusting the switch is hard as hell and I'm sick of screwing with it.
Actually, it is simple. It also sounds like something that you should do so your Jeeps works as it should. A cut off for theft deterrent is one thing but adding more wires to do the same thing as the wires that are there is just asking for more things which can go wrong.
What problems are you having adjusting your ignition switch?
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
neonistic
1981 CJ7 

I know that you don't want to deal with the original switch, but replacing it may be all that you need to do. I had a similar problem on a '76 Wagoneer. The new switch was ten times easier to adjust. For a cutoff switch, I would use a wire to the distributer from the ignition module. For power, you can run the power wires through relays and run the signal wire in series.
Unread 02-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWulf View Post
I don't have a tach, so that won't work.
What else can I do?
thanks btw

That's even better as the plug is still there is the tach is not. Seperate the tach plug and the engine won't run but it wont stop your battery drain problem. only a new switch will.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
That's even better as the plug is still there is the tach is not. Seperate the tach plug and the engine won't run but it wont stop your battery drain problem. only a new switch will.
Just tested this and it works! thanks!

I'm gonna wire up a switch on the tach to kill the engine, and then get a battery disconnect and put it on the hood.
Unread 02-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #12
davemci
1978 CJ7 

I don't know if you have the stock ignition but this seems to be a problem Jeephammer mentioned in the distributor mod here. He mentions that the engine runs on even with the ignition switch turned off. Toward the bottom of the link there is a picture of the ignition cable with a diode installed. This cured the engine run on problem. If all else fails I'd just install an in-dash ignition switch instead of a bunch of toggles.

edit: It's actually the exciter wire.
davemci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.