Engine Internal Coolant Leak - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine Internal Coolant Leak

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 08-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #61
kovic
1983 CJ5 

I have only used grease on my adapter plate gaskets for my weber, that canceled out any vacuum leaks I may have had. I have never heard of using aviation grease. I do enjoy how someone always seems to find a good way to do something, thats what makes JF so good.

On my Valve cover gasket I have never had an issue with putting a cork gasket on dry, The one have now is in its third session of use and does not leak.

kov

kovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #62
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovic View Post
I have only used grease on my adapter plate gaskets for my weber, that canceled out any vacuum leaks I may have had. I have never heard of using aviation grease. I do enjoy how someone always seems to find a good way to do something, thats what makes JF so good.

On my Valve cover gasket I have never had an issue with putting a cork gasket on dry, The one have now is in its third session of use and does not leak.

kov
I don't think the product Keith used is a "grease". If it's like the stuff I used, it's a sticky sealant that stays tacky.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #63
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I don't think the product Keith used is a "grease". If it's like the stuff I used, it's a sticky sealant that stays tacky.

Matt
That's what it is, remains tacky.

I've tried the dry method also and though it initially worked, over time my bolts would loosen and it would start to leak. I got tired of checking the hold down bolts for the valve cover and got smart and use the wedge lock washers.

I do use grease on the carb gaskets.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #64
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Just thought I'd give a final update after the repairs were done.

Been driving around as much as I can do to this beautiful weather we have been having since summer was mostly a washout. Drove down to my buddy's house in Maryland, up and down the Delaware river shore line several times and have put on about 700 miles with no loss of coolant or overheating.

I'd say it is fixed as there are no signs of coolant or mayonnaise at the bottom of my engine oil cap and the oil level on the dipstick is clean and at the full mark.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #65
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

That's great news, Keith. Strong work.

It's also good to hear that you're actually putting a few miles on your CJ...you can only stare at it in the garage for so long.

Thanks for the update.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.