engine fault, dying when I push gas pedal.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > engine fault, dying when I push gas pedal..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-29-2003, 10:29 AM   #1
Popol

engine fault, dying when I push gas pedal..

Hello all.

This is more of an annoyance, but still id like to get it fixed.

The car is a 79 cj7 5.0 V8 auto, when I press the gas pedal hard, either from standstill or when moving at any speed, the engine stalls for a few seconds, then spurts into life...

If i just push the gas pedal about 20% of max travel the car works fine, but if i floor it the car stalls almost, (best way to describe it) if i keep my foot down and leave it there, then after a few seconds it starts to pickup and seems to gain momentum..

I am guessing its a blocked/dirty carburetor? but I am not sure, open to suggestions....

Popol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2003, 01:09 PM   #2
mad_matt

How big a carb ya runnin? 5.0, as in ford? Does it do this at low rpm or also runnin down the interstate at 55 when you give er gas? Yer vaccume advance might be pinched causing the hesitation. Also might be a miss from things like bad spark pluggs or a dirty distributor. Dunno. But they would be a good place to start lookin.
mad_matt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2003, 02:11 PM   #3
Popol

as to carb I must admit I havent had a chance to look yet been busy patching the car so the lights and stuff work, now getting around to looking more closely at the other faults.

5.0 as in Litres, I am not sure on the american sizes (im in spain) I guess that is 304 ?

It chokes with the pedal down from standing, and when driving at about 60 kph..

If i press my foot to a third of its travel, its finme and pulls ok, if i floor it my head shoots forward as the car literally takes a dive and then it starts to pickup the gas after about 3 or 4 seconds if i leave my foot down, if i take my foot straight off and reaplly again its fine to about a 3rd of its travel..
Popol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2003, 02:20 PM   #4
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Sounds like the accelerator pump is bad - try to find a rebuild kit for the MC 2100 carb and it will cure the problem - it comes with a new power valve as well.

Last edited by OldJeepguy; 05-29-2003 at 02:45 PM..
OldJeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2003, 04:03 PM   #5
possum398

Carb?

I have that same problem. My is caused by my carb. I have a 2bbl 500 cfm Holley. It is a good carb for the application, but mine is in need of a rebuild.
possum398 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.