Engine Cutting Out when driving - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-26-2013, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Jefenhauser
1980 CJ7 

Engine Cutting Out when driving

I have an 80 CJ7 with a Ford 302 engine that has started to cut out when accelerating. The tach will goes to zero, the hiccups until I let off the gas then it goes back to normal until I need to accelerate again. I'm on my 3rd fuel pump which is a carter electric pump with a new filter before and after the pump. I check the MSD ignition control mod inside the distributor and it check ok. The MSD Distributor cap and rotor button are good too. The Engine Control module was replaced 8 months ago. I'm going nuts trying to figure out the problem here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-26-2013, 06:58 AM
jcal73
1979 CJ5 

Since the 302 has the distributor in the front you might want to check the wiring going to it.
Could be that when you press the peddle moving throttle linkage that something is contacting a wire.
Look under the hood and under the dash.

Hope that helps!
Jeff

Jeff

Our Jeep Links

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old 06-26-2013, 07:16 AM
cwsenn
1979 CJ7 

Check / replace the distributor pickup coil. Check the fuel lines for obstructions.
post #4 of 31 Old 06-26-2013, 11:41 AM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Ck for a broken 'feed' wire to the coil. Same for the dizzy.
LG
post #5 of 31 Old 06-26-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Jefenhauser
1980 CJ7 

So with the tach freaking out when this happens y'all are thinking electrical issues ?
post #6 of 31 Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 AM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

YUP!
Could be anydangthing from the ign. switch forward......
LG
post #7 of 31 Old 07-09-2013, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Jefenhauser
1980 CJ7 

Just an update I'm getting the engine rebuit as of now and found 1 piston had a broke ring. I know that wouldn't make it cut off but it doesn't help any . More to come.
post #8 of 31 Old 07-21-2013, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Jefenhauser
1980 CJ7 

Update we found the vacuum advance was not working and some bad connections at the electronic ignition in the distributor. I hope that was the problem.
post #9 of 31 Old 07-21-2013, 04:52 PM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

That could explain the hole in the piston too........
LG
post #10 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Jefenhauser
1980 CJ7 

Ok back on the road! The cutting out was a loose wire at the distributor and the vacuum advance was shot. I've also had fuel delivery issues which looks like the the tank needs to be cleaned out. The power of converting from 2barrel to a four barrel carb is amazing! Back to loving my jeep!
post #11 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 10:53 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Thanks for reporting back...

fast fix also.

post #12 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 11:05 AM
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Garage
I'm glad you found the culprit I was also going to mention moisture in the dizzy, this was a common problem on my '69 Buick GS400

with a forward mounted distributor. In their wisdom, Buick placed the drains for the hood scoops right above the distributor. The trick was to squirt some WD40 into the cap.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #13 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Jefenhauser
1980 CJ7 

Now since everything engine wise is doing good i'm back to having fuel pump problems. I'm using a Carter inline Solenoid style universal pump. It does good for a trip then it just quits pumping! I carry a spare bump you let the pump cool down and blow thru both sides and it starts pumping good again. The PO put the pump on the passenger side fender well and I'm thinking I should move it to the back of the jeep on the frame. Thoughts??
post #14 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 03:36 PM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Closer to the tank the better for ele. f'pumps.
Need to keep air moving over the pump to cool it. That's why most FI f'pumps are in the gas tank.
LG
post #15 of 31 Old 07-30-2013, 04:14 PM
JustinBooth52
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had that same problem with my 06 rubicon and it turned out to be the wiring harness fell down and rubbed till it sorted! I would say you have a sort somewhere

2009 Red Rock JKU building it my way, one bolt at a time, with out instructions.

Tags
cj7 , ford engine swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.