Engine crooked? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine crooked?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-21-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
bpal
1985 CJ7 

Engine crooked?

I had bolted the 258 engine back in my CJ a couple of days ago and was putting the transmission and transfer case back in this morning and am having some alignment problems.

The drivetrain is skewed with the back end pointed to close to the drivers side so that the transmission mount does not line up with the holes in the skid plate. It is off by maybe 1.5".

I've tried to loosen all of the engine mounts including the brackets on the frame and the skid plate mounting bolts. The only way I can get it to match up is to use one of the non-centered holes on the drivers side frame bracket. It seems like it should work without having to do this.

Any other suggestions?

By the way its an 85 CJ and this is the same drivetrain that was previously installed in it. The new rubber engine mounts I had installed with bracket up on drivers side and bracket down on the passenger side (as it is on my 86).

Unread 07-21-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

You didn't change the frame bracket locations, did you? One side (pass?) used the outside pair and the other side of the engine used the rear pair of holes. Going off memory, so might not be 100% correct.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2007, 10:07 AM   #3
bpal
1985 CJ7 

I got it finally to line up.

I just ended up loosening everything.
Bolted the skid plate to the transmission mounts first before bolting it to the frame.
And used the hoist to move everything around until it matched up.

I don't know what I would have done if I did not have the body off.

Oh well, back to paint and body work.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.