Engine coolant temperature sensor location - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine coolant temperature sensor location

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
mminorhsd
1979 CJ7 

Engine coolant temperature sensor location

I'm a newbie to the forum and to jeep ownership. I have a 1979 CJ7, with a 258 cubic inch inline 6 engine. I purchased this as a restoration project.

It appears that someone removed/cut every wire from the gauges except the oil pressure gauge. I want to get all of the gauges working eventually. I'm concentrating on the temperature and fuel gauges. I have seen several really good trouble shooting forums on here. However, I have a very simple question. Where is the engine coolant temperature sensor located on the engine. I see something that appears to be installed in the head, under the left side of the carb as you look at the engine from the front of the jeep. It appears to be a copper tube that someone cut with diagonal cutters. Could this be what I am looking for. Nothing on the engine other than the oil pressure unit has any wires attached.

1979 CJ 7, 258 cubic inch restoration project.
mminorhsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

If my memory serves me correct, when I had a 258 IL6, it was next to the firewall.

As you are sitting in the jeep, it is on the left side of the engine, at the back. You will see a 3/8 or 7/16 thread brass fitting sticking up out of the head with 1/8 inch bolt threads on it. Thats where the coolant temp sensor wire goes. I think the wire is purple.
davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
CoAce
1977 CJ7 

On my 77 258 it is in the exact location as above.

Top of head next to valve cover. Next to firewall driver side.
CoAce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
mminorhsd
1979 CJ7 

Thanks!

I found it right where you said. It is covered in dried mud and oil...and with no wire. That made it hard to recognize. I will order a new one and add a wire to the gauge. And keep my fingers crossed that will fix it. If not on to more trouble shooting.

1979 CJ 7, 258 cubic inch restoration project.
mminorhsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
st0rckz84GDub

Gauges

I know this is an old thread, but I just stumbled upon it... just a little FYI in case you havent figured it out yet, the fuel gauge, water temp gauge, and ammeter will ALL stop working IF the CVR is bad. BJ's Offroad sells a replacement gauge w/ the CVR for under $30 and it will usually fix this problem...
st0rckz84GDub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

stork84dubya, is that your real name?

Welcome to the Forum, if you fill out your Profile it would be an asset.

CVR - XXX Voltage Regulator?

There is a voltage regulator in the fuel gauge, see John Strenk's excellent write ups on this. Without it the fuel sender is toasted but as far as I am aware it does not feed the ammeter. I may be wrong, mine has a voltmeter.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
coolant , sensor , temperature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.