Engine compromised by bad spark plug - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine compromised by bad spark plug

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #46
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Reviews like that, I take with a very large (picture cow lick) grain of salt. Lots of emotion with very little actual information. Misfires can result from many different factors. The engine being a stroker further complicates the issue. I hear about many more stroker failures than successes. "All but useless"? What does that mean?
As JeepHammer says, ask the shop about that case. I'm sure they'll remember and be happy to tell you about it.
Throwing a used engine in without opening it up to see what's what spooks me. I hate doing the same job twice. (especially those small jobs like engine swaps)

Unread 08-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #47
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Thanks Firegod!

Really appreciate your input!! And, building consensus on course of action here makes me feel much better about going to these guys. Actually, hoping to get to this shop today to check it out!!

Best regards -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

... can't take credit for the graphic ... but it's cool, ain't it?
Sherms-CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #48
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Hey Guys,

Stopped by the shop and was impressed ...

BTW - got these pics from their Facebook page ... didn't actually get to see them boring out an engine or anything, but did see most of the cars in the pics.

mdr_engines.jpg

mdr_engines3.jpg

mdr_engines8.jpg

mdr_engines2.jpg

mdr_engines4.jpg

mdr_engines5.jpg

mdr_engines6.jpg

mdr_engines9.jpg

What do you think? Maybe, wish me luck ... thinking the decision is made.

Thanks for all the help!!!
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 08-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #49
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Were you able to express your concerns and did they make you all warm and fuzzy?

Shawn
Unread 08-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #50
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Personally, I like how clean the shop is. No metal filings on the floor, no dirt, etc... It's not a race shop that's kept surgically clean, but pretty clean nonetheless. That's very important in an engine shop. Good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 08-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #51
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
Were you able to express your concerns and did they make you all warm and fuzzy?

Shawn
Hey Shawn,

Yep, LOL ... well, not warm and fuzzy, but I am looking forward to getting them my Jeep. Brought up the bad reviews and the owner definitely got a little nervous, but told that the guy with the 22 week job was paying as he went. I was a little bummed when I brought up the other review, where the reviewer was complaining that the shop had sent their crank out to another shop for some reason and that it was taking longer than it was supposed to and that it was $180 more than was estimated, so the person just cancelled or something? The guy flat-out denied that they ever send anything out to other shops ... maybe that was a special case that he forgot about ... ? Was a little concerned ... don't know, but with the warranty they give, I'm not too worried about it.

Basically, I liked him and their shop and like that they like Jeeps. The owner has 3 (I think), a YJ and 2 CJ's (CJ7 and a CJ2A). And, one of their main mechanics has a YJ and a big presence on NovaJeepers.com, which somebody said means allot.

I'm at least hoping that by bringing up the reviews, that they might think about that feedback and would make sure to ... do the right thing as far as my Jeep goes. Don't mean to imply that they'd ever do otherwise, but ... don't want to be naive etc.

Thanks allot again for you help and thoughts on this!!
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 08-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #52
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firegod33 View Post
Personally, I like how clean the shop is. No metal filings on the floor, no dirt, etc... It's not a race shop that's kept surgically clean, but pretty clean nonetheless. That's very important in an engine shop. Good luck and keep us posted.
Hey Firegod!!

Thanks for that feedback!! I actually haven't seen as many machine shops as I'd like, so that helps hearing from you that it is clean. Really appreciate your input!! I will let you know how it turns out and will try to get pictures of the "action", so to speak ... i.e. pics of cylinders once they open it up etc.

Thanks again -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 08-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #53
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I'd probably go for it. Hammer was right about paying for the parts upfront and only a portion of the actual machine work; saving the lions share upon satisfactory completion.

The crank is an interesting deal so just ask him upfront what might constitute him having to job your crank out elsewhere and make sure he gets an "ok" from you before he
just ships it on out to someone else.

Either way, this should beat the snot out of some "reman" engine.

Shawn
Unread 08-25-2014, 05:07 PM   #54
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
I'd probably go for it. Hammer was right about paying for the parts upfront and only a portion of the actual machine work; saving the lions share upon satisfactory completion.

The crank is an interesting deal so just ask him upfront what might constitute him having to job your crank out elsewhere and make sure he gets an "ok" from you before he
just ships it on out to someone else.

Either way, this should beat the snot out of some "reman" engine.

Shawn
Hey Shawn,

Yeah, I think I'm going to "go for it"!!

They ask for $1500 up front, which should be about half (or a little less) of the total cost. I think that's fair ... you think?

Yeah, he flat out denied sending cranks to somebody else!? I don't know, I figure it's not worth making a major case out of that ... ?

Also, I asked if they paint their engines and he told me they paint every one ... except for new modern engines that may be problematic for some reason ... too much junk on them?

Then, he brought up going with a different cam for an extra $100 ... mentioning that I could put one in there for higher torque at lower RPM, but he said it would idle rougher. What do you think about that?

Thanks so much again!!!
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 08-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #55
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

BTW - think after my bringing them to his attention, the shop owner has responded to the negative reviews offering to make things right. I think he's a class act ... definitely feel better about everything now.

Thanks much again -
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 08-26-2014, 06:10 AM   #56
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherms-CJ7 View Post
...Then, he brought up going with a different cam for an extra $100 ... mentioning that I could put
one in there for higher torque at lower RPM, but he said it would idle rougher. What do you think about that?

Thanks so much again!!!
John
Noooo! I'm like Dennis the Menace trying not to push the button when someone brings up camshafts

But yes, there's a lot to be had with a cam swap, assuming it's a good grind for the engine. You can also get a bunch more torque
without getting into a rough idle.

What are you looking to get out of this engine and what exhaust will you be running? Gears and tire size is helpful, too.

Shawn
Unread 08-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #57
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Hey Shawn, or Dennis the Menace as it were!! Lol!!!

Funny, just after posting the camshaft question, I just happened to click on another thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/4-...-help-2662426/), saw your input and responses, and realized that such a discussion will get involved most certainly pushing into uncharted territory for me Which, is fine as this is stuff that I'd love to learn and understand!!

As far as exhaust - I installed Hedman Headders years ago ... single muffler. Tire size is currently is on the smaller size, so that will change down the road; I have a 2.5" inch lift, so will probably go with 31's, unless I install new shackles, in which case it will be 32's.

Have to double check on gear ratio; I've never done anything with that, so it's probably stock ... 2.73 or 3.07?

Thanks so much again for all your help!!
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Unread 08-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #58
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Yours will have different requirements to get to the same place because he's got a 4.0 head. If you tell me what you're looking for from
the engine, I can throw out some ideas.

Shawn
Unread 08-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #59
Sherms-CJ7

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Yours will have different requirements to get to the same place because he's got a 4.0 head. If you tell me what you're looking for from the engine, I can throw out some ideas.

Shawn
Hey Shawn,

I am a little embarrassed to tell you this, but I wasn't entirely sure how to answer your question on what I'm "looking for from the engine".
First thought was simply that I want more HP, but figured things are more complicated than that and maybe I should do a little research ... so I found this article for starters:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...for-your-jeep/

Anyway, I'm at work now, so no time to read throughout. Will pick it up later and will look for more related info.

BTW - at first I was concerned about "rough idle" ... and I'm rethinking that. Rough idle might even sound a little cool or a little meaner

One last thing I just thought of ... perhaps as I'm essentially getting a whole new engine, I should chuck the ICM I just put on there in favor of a new MSD control unit?

To be continued ...

Thanks again so much Dude!! You are the man!!
John
()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.