Engine Compartment Wiring ID Help Request - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine Compartment Wiring ID Help Request

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 06-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Mr. Boh
1986 CJ7 

Engine Compartment Wiring ID Help Request

Got myself a new CJ and going over what the PO did in the engine compartment. Here is the overall view, showing the new Weber and reman engine:

Could not ID a few wires that did not connect to anything. B is coming off of the turn signal loom. Did not see any orange wires in that location on the wiring diagram.

I know the engine is a reman and the wiring from the coil to the solenoid does not look stock. Can some provide a pic of how it it supposed to look?

Mr. Boh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

B looks like a harness for factory fogs. G is coming off the O2 sensor...is it possible that thing was injected at one point, because even A looks too new to be on a CJ.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Orange wiring typically ends up with lights. Dash wiring lights are orange. Are all your front lights working including your side markets? Could be extra or accessory...
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

A or D look like possibly your backup switch on top of the transmission. If no neutral safety (automatic trans only), then backup switch would be 2 wires...do you have reverse lights?
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Mr. Boh
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
B looks like a harness for factory fogs. G is coming off the O2 sensor...is it possible that thing was injected at one point, because even A looks too new to be on a CJ.
Could be for B, my front bumper is drilled for the fog light tabs so its possible it had Marchal fogs at one point. I looked at other under hood pics of CJs with OEM fogs and there is a loom running in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather View Post
Orange wiring typically ends up with lights. Dash wiring lights are orange. Are all your front lights working including your side markets? Could be extra or accessory...
All lights are working as they should, headlight, tails, marker in both switch positions. Walker may be right that B is for OEM fog lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather View Post
A or D look like possibly your backup switch on top of the transmission. If no neutral safety (automatic trans only), then backup switch would be 2 wires...do you have reverse lights?
Haven't checked, but I will go and check now to see if they come on.
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

E is your oil pressure switch - it turns on circuits like your manifold heater via a relay and I think the choke components...
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

B could also be your under hood light connection.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Note: Jeep harnesses had connection for all common accessories and engine combination like Foglights and Tachs and Automatics and 4cyl engines. If it wasn't used, it just wasn't connected.

A: Thermal Electric Switch in Aircleaner assembly. Used 84 on in CJ's
See #1 In this Picture:

B: Verified that Orange does run to fog lights on the front... Just checked the schematic...

C: Electric Choke on BBD.

D: Coolant temp Switch

E: Knock Sensor

F: Cant make it out. too Blurry. Is that a blue wire? If it's Violet then it's the Oil Pressure Sensor.

G: O2 Sensor

Should just be one wire from solenoid to coil. From "I" on solenoid to (+) on Coil.
Looks like cover is missing. I'll look to see if I have a picture.

Check this site out...
Jeep Adventures Under the hood
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Mr. Boh
1986 CJ7 

John, thank you very very much, very insightful. I guess my next question is: Is everything that is disconnected fine disconnected? The PO did give me a box with the original Carter, air cleaner, and emissions related controls. So I have all that if something needs to get connected.

Here is a better pic of F. C, D, E and F are in the same loom. Is that loom supposed to run across the top of the valve cover and not along the back of the firewall?

Unread 06-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Not really sure how it's routed. Most of those connections are for the computer that looks like it's been bypassed....
Probably can remove whole computer harness. There are several posts on how to do that.

Still need to check on that blue wire, plug looks wrong for oil pressure.
I see you oil pressure sender and it has a violet wire attached so it's not oil.

I'll check my old harness and see if I can figure it out.
Were does it run? to that relay socket?
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
Mr. Boh
1986 CJ7 

It is all a part of this harness with two connectors that are not connected to anything. The loom then splits into 2 with most going to a large flat connector and the rest going to the computer (which it is still plugged into). I'd really like to clean this engine compartment up as much as possible. I do have plans to convert it over the Mopar MPI so I don't want to get rid of anything that may be necessary for that.

Unread 06-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

99% of that harness can disappear.

There is one wire needed for the manifold heater and electric choke, that you don't need for the MPFI setup.
It passes through a flat 6 pin connector to the e-choke. Jumper that wire past the 6 pin connector and you are good to go with any carb setup.
Other than the temp gauge sensor and oil pressure gauge sensor, I think the MPFI replaces everything else....

Unread 06-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

With the Weber carb, I would use your stock air cleaner assembly and remove the MCU (computer).

Some mods to the engine wiring harness will need to changed if the computer harness is removed for your model year. It involves the electric choke, some ignition, and maybe the oil pressure switch but don't remember.

You will have a pile of wire as pictured below when it is all said and done.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Ah yes, it's bee so long I forgot about the two wires from the distributor sensor to the ICM...
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:11 AM   #15
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk
Ah yes, it's bee so long I forgot about the two wires from the distributor sensor to the ICM...
Yep, before he yanks the 'Puter out of the glove box he needs to follow the orange and purple wires coming from the distributor.

If they go to the firewall by the battery it needs nuttered first. If they go directly to the ICM on the drivers side inner fender your good to go spark wise.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.