Engine compartment pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine compartment pics

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
ryandelany
1976 CJ7 

Engine compartment pics

Anyone have pics of the engine compartment of a CJ7, preferably a 1976 with the 258 in it? I just picked up this Jeep and a few items don't look like they are in the right place, but I don't have anything to compare to. The items that most concern me are:

1. The fuel line going from the fuel pump to the carb
2. The hoses coming from the PCV valves (presumably to the carb) since mine are completely missing and the underside of my hood is covered in oil
3. Some of the wiring (PO wired distributor straight to a switch inside among other things)
4. Tubing from the windshield washer bottle/pump to the sprayer

Any pics and details would be greatly appreciated so I can get this engine compartment straightened out!

Ryan

ryandelany is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2008, 04:35 AM   #2
1983 CJ7 

One option is to scan Ebay and the web in search of "low mileage" and "collector" CJ's for sale and they often have pictures of unmolested Jeeps. Collins Brothers has a couple of low mileage 83-86 CJ-7's and CJ-8's that helped me out, they have on CJ-7 add that pretty much runs continuously on Ebay.
Unread 09-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
ryandelany
1976 CJ7 

Thanks, I'll try that. I've been cruising around these forums and found some pics, but they aren't exactly my year/engine combination.

Someone out there must have a '76 with a 258 and a camera!

Ryan
Unread 09-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
1983 CJ7 

1983, original owner

Unread 09-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

GOOD JOB 243!!!
Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #6
ryandelany
1976 CJ7 

Awesome, thanks!

Looks like my fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb isn't too bad after all. Mine is all rubber which scared me a little, but it looks like the pre-80's used rubber instead of the hard lines so I guess I'll live with it.

Thanks again!

Ryan
Unread 09-02-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting pic of the 79, I always thought that style air cleaner wouldn't clear a brake booster. I'll keep that in mind when I upgrade, thanks.

Western Mass. 4x4
Smtty58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandelany View Post
Awesome, thanks!

Looks like my fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb isn't too bad after all. Mine is all rubber which scared me a little, but it looks like the pre-80's used rubber instead of the hard lines so I guess I'll live with it.Thanks again!Ryan

The pics by 243 are very nice. Even has AIR, good thing for TX.

The stock would have solid fuel line from the fuel pump to the front/over of valve cover over to carb. The Carb has U shape hard line and the two are attached with a fuel filter that used two outputs. The Top Output of Filter goes back to the gas tank along the drivers frame. I have a pic of fuel line but do not have the recirculate fuel line. Maybe another will post.

A little caution I have the rubber line across my top valve cover. Mike Romain said he knew a guy that had car fire and insurance denied because of rubber line across the top of engine. FYI I respect M. Romain opinion.

Fred

1978 CJ7 with cast iron manifolds, Carter 1barrel carb, missing return fuel line to tank

1978 CJ7 with 2 barrel intake from 81 AMC Concord, Borla Header, 2 Barrel Carb.
If you have single barrel carb, 1981+ manifolds & carb would be good upgrade for your vintage also. $35 at up pull junk yard off AMC Cars, concord, eagle etc with the same engine, Power steering, pullies, more??

1978 After Rebuild & 2 Barrel Carb installed

Last edited by Fjguercio; 09-02-2008 at 04:33 PM..
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtty58 View Post
Interesting pic of the 79, I always thought that style air cleaner wouldn't clear a brake booster. I'll keep that in mind when I upgrade, thanks.
Unless he hs steel engine mounts, That engine is going to torque over and slam that MC.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandelany View Post
Awesome, thanks!

Looks like my fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb isn't too bad after all. Mine is all rubber which scared me a little, but it looks like the pre-80's used rubber instead of the hard lines so I guess I'll live with it.

Thanks again!

Ryan
My 76 has a steel line. Just like all of them should. I made some changes on mine but I'll grab a few of the fuel line.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
ryandelany
1976 CJ7 

Here's the pics of my engine. Notice the fuel hose is half hardline and half rubber, and way too much rubber at that. The filter is just sort of dangling between the intake manifold and the power steering reservoir (I think). Should I be worried about that? Should I shorten the rubber hose?

Additionally, notice the PCV valves. One has a breather on it with no hose, and the other is plugged with a bolt and hose clamp. I also have an aftermarket 4bbl Holley carb on there (not my choice) and don't know where the PCV valves should be hooked up.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. And yes, the jeep was originally yellow if you can see behind all the blowoff from the PCV valves.

Pics:

Ryan
Unread 09-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #12
kavephish
1981 CJ5 

wow!! some of you have hideously clean engine compartments!!!
kavephish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2008, 02:25 AM   #13
GPER
1979 CJ7 

GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
Shrevmo
1985 CJ7 

You have an aftermarket intake and header too. The distributator looks to be different too.
Unread 09-08-2008, 12:18 AM   #15
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

GPER explain mods please.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.