Engine Block Question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine Block Question?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
cdt540
1983 CJ7 

Engine Block Question?

I have an '83 CJ7 with the 258. The engine is in need of a rebuild but the the block is chipped up by the water pump so went in search of another block to rebuild. I bought what I was told was an '83 engine sight unseen but it turns out to be a '79. I know I know but for a $100 it was worth the gamble. So I am trying to sort out my options, 1) rebuild the '79 as is 2) rebuild the '79 block and use the '83 head and manifolds or 3) attempt to get the chip repaired and rebuild the '83 as is (extra $150). I have lots of questions but the one I have now is what is connected to the fitting in the pic (red arrow, '79 block)? That fitting does not exist on my '83. The '83 looks like it has a plug where that connector would be but it is a little hard to get a clear view of it since it is still in the Jeep.

Thanks

Chris
'83 CJ7 (258 4spd)
Austin Tx

photo4.jpg  
cdt540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
CSP

Your head won't work with that block unless you enlarge the mounting holes on the head. Your head uses 7/16" bolts to attach it to the block, but that block requires 1/2" head bolts.

Fittings like that aren't deal breakers. Pull whatever fitting your existing block has and install it on the donor block if they aren't the same.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

That looks like a piece of a CTO. Why not use the 79 head and block?
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
cdt540
1983 CJ7 

My thought at this time is to just rebuild the '79 with the '79 head which is one of the reasons I am trying to figure out what goes to that connection because in its stock form it connects to something, I just don't to what or where. The only reason i considered the '83 head was because it was already configured for the aftermarket aluminum valve cover that is on the '83. The engine builder that i spoke to said he has drill out the 7/16 heads to put on the 1/2 stud blocks and was no big deal to do. I guess it is probably more straight forward to use the '79 head and have the mods done to it to accomidate the aluminum valve cover. I wasn't sure if there was any value in using the '83 head and manifolds over the '79 in general.
Unread 07-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
CSP

Forget the aluminum valve cover and then you don't have any machine work.

That fitting, which is the CTO valve (or what's left of it), is specific to '79 emissions and other parts which that year uses. You won't use it, but do swap whatever fitting is in your existing block to this one.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
cdt540
1983 CJ7 

Thanks all. I just got to save a few more coins$ and it is off to the machine shop.

Chris
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Put a mechanical temp gauge in that spot.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
SCSEAJAYSEVEN
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Put a mechanical temp gauge in that spot.
That is exactly what I did on my '78 258 block. The mechanical temp gauge works great, kinda coincides with the stock electrical gauge.
SCSEAJAYSEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Yup, no big deal with the CTO valve. If you don't need it then have your machine shop just install a plug in its place or use it for a mechanical temp gage in its location. I would personally look into having them drill out your 83 head for 1/2" simply because of the aluminum valve cover. You will probably never find one for the other. The only manufacturer for it was Clifford and they stopped making them years ago and the 81+ won't fit because it is strait on one side and the early models had curves on both sides.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.