Engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Engine

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-28-2002, 09:09 PM   #1
kyp

Engine

I have a 1969 Cj5 and it has a 4cyl. What is the dissplacement of this motor? I wanr to swap it for another motor but the 4cyl. runs great doesnt smoke its in perfect running cond. What could I Bolt right in without much work?

Unread 08-28-2002, 10:31 PM   #2
CSP

If it's the f-head engine (stock) it is 150 cu. inches. Nothing is a bolt in without some sort of adapters or different bellhousing. Cooling anything bigger would be an issue as would motor mounts.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2002, 06:21 AM   #3
kyp

Boltin

Thanx for responding to the post, But what is the most likely bolt in for this model? Ive herd about a V-6 what is this?
Unread 08-29-2002, 06:22 AM   #4
kyp

How can I tell if its an F-Head?
Is the 4cyl. strong enough for the Jeep?
Unread 08-29-2002, 07:12 AM   #5
4wheeler4CJ

Being somewhat "familiar" with the older CJ's, I am going to "throw out" that the Buick V6 used in those years would be an awesome transplant. It's a 226ci, and has GREAT HP and Torque ratings! It's a powerhouse, and I will hopefully own one some day!

Everyone feel free to add to this, that is familiar with them.
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2002, 04:50 PM   #6
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Gotta agree with 4x4CJ on that one, however the displacement is 225 cid. The 226 was a straight 6 put in wagons and p'ups. I've owned two of these(still have one) and the motor is awsome! Small, lite(compaired to a V8) good gas milage, and incredable torque due to the heaviest flywheel you ever saw. The nicest thing is they came stock which means that they FIT with a minimum of effort. As for your F head, they provide enough power for putting such as fireroading and mild rockcrawling but will be lacking for the more demanding wheeling, such as mudding or the more extreme climbing. If your happy with the preformance of the 4, then rebuilding it will be cheaper and your Jeep will remain stock(sometimes a big plus when going to sell it on down the road).
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2002, 09:50 AM   #7
4wheeler4CJ

Yeh, sorry for that one...I knew what the 226 was, but had it in mind when I was thinking of the Buick displacement, LOL.

As the electricians say, "220, 221, whatever it takes!"
4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2002, 06:58 AM   #8
Jacob

the F-head is 134 c.i.d.
thats what i have but mine is bored out so it is about 140c.i.d.
i will use my F-head until i can find a small block 350
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2002, 01:39 AM   #9
kyp

Engine

OK If I wanted to replace the factory setup with the Buick, and I wanted to get the parts at a Junk Yard, What would I ask for?
Is there a car or truck that had all the right parts for the conversion to V-6? If not what kind of torque does the 4cyl. f-head put out? I just want the best thing for the 69' CJ5.
Also is there a fuel injection system that can be retrofitted to the Buicl V-6?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.