Emmisions Stuff - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Emmisions Stuff

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

Emmisions Stuff

Hi everyone ok so got a question. I have a 1984 cj7 amc 150. Now I've driving it back to my family place and plan on registering it there so I don't have to deal with any smog regulations. My question is...

What can I remove? Obvisouly there would be some plugs i'd need to cover up the carb i'm guessing (vaccum lines) or such. Also from the exhaust has a tube from the cat converter to some were in the pluse area how would I get rid of that or would I just need to purchase a new cat? Any suggestions would be great. I'm just excited that I can pull all that stuff off and hopefully maybe get a few extra MPG or horsepower (believe me having a 4cyl you learn to be patience) Any suggestion of where to start and what I can remove would be great.

Thanks, Chris

Cpolinsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

We have no idea where you're moving from OR to. The answer varies from state to state. You should also consider what is on the agenda in the state legislature. It would be a shame to remove stuff only to find out you're going to need it next year.

It is ALWAYS illegal to remove the Catalytic Converter. That's Federal law.

Here comes the stumper. Hard to believe, but true...
Some emissions equipment actually do no harm, and SOME actually helps performance. Don't start just cutting and yanking. Come up with a plan. If you do remove stuff, save it. That way if you need it later you have it You can also make money selling it to some other poor slob who tossed stuff and now needs it. Lots of that stuff they don't make anymore.

Also, you know it's a crime in most states to register a vehicle you plan on operating in it in another state, right? Think of Tax Evasion for starters. In California for example, if you're pulled over with a California driver license in a vehicle belonging to you registered in another state, your stop is going to last a LOT longer than just a few minutes.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Well IF you would fill out your profile and let us know where you are going just may help YOU........
BTW, IF you DL's state doesn't match the Jeeps plate could/may be a big deal with insurance and the PO-PO when you are stopped.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

^^^Geez we think alike sometimes!^^^

Every time you think you beat the "system", the "system" will beat you another way. You're not the first, and hardly the last. that's why they call it "The System".

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
^^^Geez we think alike sometimes!^^^

Every time you think you beat the "system", the "system" will beat you another way. You're not the first, and hardly the last. that's why they call it "The System".
Scary, HUH
LG
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

HI Guys sorry about that. Jeep will be Registered in WA from CA. I'm not sure how long I plan on being up here could be for another 6 months or so (family needed my help). So I figured I'd registered it here in WA and since I don't have to worry about smog issues (since it's 25yr rolling emissions). I can remove the smog stuff. I understand that it would be plated in WA and then at some point i'd drive it down to CA. I mainly want to do this to now have to worry about emissions. It's past all the time while I've been in CA but now that i'm up here I plan on putting a 258 in it (they are pretty cheap up from what I've seen). I have a 360 in my storage unit in CA but don't plan on bringing that up and will do the rebuild swap down there at some point when I go back. Or who knows maybe I'll stay up here depending on how family stuff works out.

I understand about the risk of being pulled over with a CA license and WA plates in CA.

Well then as for a plan I haven't made one yet. And i'm not planning on pulling or cutting stuff off. I just want to know what can I remove that would help. What is good and what stuff is bad. Or is it just easier to remove the stuff when I pull the engine to put a 258 in? (It could be a few months though for that one). Like I said I have lots of patience since I have a 4cyl but I would love to have at least a 6cyl. I just need some more power she doesn't do that well on hills and such.

thanks again this site has been so helpful and thank you everyone for all your help with everything.
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Don't fix what ain't broke
Ca's, CHP are BLOODHOUNDS with seeing folks doing what you want with the reg/dl thing, you ain't the first.
Trust me-They can/will impound the jeep if there is any 'funny business' like this from being pulled over for a minor t'stop.
It just ain't worth it......
Get a Wa. DL and this would not be much of an issue.........IF you plan to live in Wa.
LG
Unread 07-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

In California, legally you can do nothing. If you don't like it, don't take the job there. If you're in the Military you have LEGAL options such as keeping the WA registration while stationed in CA.

You're asking for co-conspirators.

BRINGING an out of state vehicle into California legally allows you to skirt SOME (not all) requirements. But just because you don't like some laws doesn't mean you're not required to obey them. It's what the people of California want; willingly, wittingly, or, un.

Taking it out of California and then returning isn't worth the trouble after "de-smogging" it.

Wait a minute...

Are you in CA and thinking about registering it in WA and still working in CA? Or living in WA and working for a bit in CA?

Unread 07-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

Ok i'll leave my stuff on it. But here's my question what if I did get pulled over couldn't I just say I dove it down from WA for a few weeks before heading back to WA? How could I get in trouble for that? (even thought it might possible be staying in CA but as long as i'm not an idoit to get pulled over in the first place I should be fine)?
Unread 07-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Why do you think it's OK to commit this fraud.
The jeep will be in your name, with out of state plates and you have a CA. D/l. Good luck explaining that away........
Do you have a clue what impound fees run??
LG
Unread 07-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

I don't think it's ok I was just trying to see what kind of options I had that's all. I completely understand about the laws. And how strick CA is with emissions stuff. I wish they were a little easier but it's what voters wanted (wether we liked them or not). I didn't mean to start anything or get anyone upset that was never my intention I was just wondering that's all. I guess I could always do this stuff and just make it off highway vehicle so I can drive it on tails and such in CA. It's still licensed and registered in CA I just renewed my tags a few months ago. Just a lot up in the air with my family so I was just floating the idea around. Thank you again (Oh and I could only imagine that impound fees probably more then the jeep)
Unread 07-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

You NEED to ck into Ca. "Off-highway" laws.
You would have to 'green-sticker' that jeep, and good luck with that.
Your good for 2 yrs.........Take care of the family!
Good luck,
LG
Unread 07-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #13
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

Thanks LG & Windknot for all your help. Family first then I'll figure out this jeep thing. She runs and drive has some issues but it's expected. Like you said don't fix what ain't broken. Have a great rest of your weekend.
Unread 07-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Why don't you post a thread about those 'issues'?
LG
Unread 07-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
Cpolinsky
1984 CJ7 

Oh I have. My main issue that I'm having is starting back up (I've created a thread "Starting issues"). I think it's vapor lock from what my friends have told me (but i'm not 100% they know more about vehicles then I do but I'm always learning and asking people for advice) so I got some shielding and i'm planning on covering my fuel lines in hopes that helps. so we'll see. Ok well off run errands and try the shielding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.