emissions - Air check Valves/carb questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > emissions - Air check Valves/carb questions

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
RuggedOrangeCJ
1983 CJ7 

emissions - Air check Valves/carb questions

Hello all - thank you first off for the wealth of knowledge I've picked up on this site. it has been INVALUABLE!! I'm sure this may have been covered somewheres on here so if someone could direct me to a thread or maybe answer a couple questions I'd really appreciate it.

A couple months ago I noticed the downstream air check valve sheered off where the valve meets the vacuum hose and have tried everything in my power to get it off without removing the whole pipe and cat.

So, that leads me to my next questions: I've been thinking about replacing the BBD I have in there, since its been a pain in the *** to deal with ever since first buying the jeep, with a Motorcraft 2100. Since I live in CA - can I replace with the 2100 and remove the air check valve system legally? or do they need to remain in place? Where can I buy the two pipes (with air check valves) for a decent price? The downstream pipe is welded to the nipple off the cat - do I need to replace the cat as well? I also need to replace the charcoal canister - or can I get rid of it with the motorcraft upgrade? same kind of question with the computer, I guess..

I have a bunch of smaller issues that need attention but the vacuum leak and surging are on the forefront of my mind so any and all suggestions or direction would be appreciated.

RuggedOrangeCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

The ONLY carb approved for Ca. smog, for our era of Jeep CJs, is the Carter.
Is yours a Ca. mod, or 49 state?
SMOG is a ***** here to pass-Bought mine new in '85, and been play'n the game ever since.
With the exception of a MSD ign bx. My engine is 100%, OEM stock.
If you bought this Jeep in Ca. How did you get it pass smog with those issues?
LG
Unread 03-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
RuggedOrangeCJ
1983 CJ7 

really?! how can it be that the Carter is the only one acceptable? is that due to the year? I recently did a TFI upgrade and planning on wiring in a MSD ignition box this month. How can I tell which model I have (CA or 49)? off the VIN? two years ago (right after I bought it) I got it to pass with a little leeway and a LOT of time spent tuning. The break in air check lines happened a couple months ago and the solenoid on the back of the Carter has since stopped working as far as I can tell. I rebuilt the carb roughly a year ago and worked great for a week. the mixture screws seem to back themselves out, not sure if the stepper motor is working...Im just tired of dealing with it and would like to switch if at all possible. If not - then I REALLY need new air check valves/tubes and possibly a new cat??
Unread 03-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

It's because PRK just hates old cars.
No Jeep CJ ever came OEM with FI.
Look at your old smog test certs, that will tell you how it was tested(Ca. mod vs 49 state)
IIRC, there are only 2 FI set-ups that are Ca./C.A.R.B. legal.
You got some research to do.
Here's a start.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/emissions.htm
You should visit a 'Referee station" and they can provide you with info. on everydangthing you will be required to have.
It's a major PITA!
Good luck,
LG
Unread 03-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
RuggedOrangeCJ
1983 CJ7 

thanks for the Novak site! I'd seen it long ago but couldn't remember which it was/ where it was. I'll also check around for a "referee" in the area - thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not looking for FI - just swapping out one carb for another -theres a guy on ebay that sells a Motorcraft 2100 carb kit for CA (supposedly) but Im unclear if I can bail these other components and if not then how can I repair the existing air check valve tubes/ charcoal canister.
Unread 03-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Again-NO M/C carb is CA. smog legal on our era CJs
Make that person show you Ca. C.A.R.B., E.O. that sez it is. Then confirm with CARB's site. Ain't gonna happen........
Just rebuild your Carter. The FSM has good info on test'n and all the smog stuff you must have.

LG
Unread 03-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Here's another alternative, if you don't want to deal with a 30-year old carb.

I've done business with National Carbs and highly recommend them.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2014, 01:03 AM   #8
RuggedOrangeCJ
1983 CJ7 

right on. I'll look into the carb issue and see if I can get a newish one. As for the upstream and downstream air check valves - any idea where I can get a replacement or input on getting the old one off? or a charcoal canister? If I can fix the massive vacuum leak there and get a new canister I'll be able to live with the BBD I have for a few more weeks. thanks
nate
Unread 03-30-2014, 01:20 AM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Folks here might have what you need.
WARNING-They are a very high priced outfit to deal with.
http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com/?gcli...FVKIfgodqRwA-A

These folks might be able to help also.
http://www.jwjeep.com/

LG
Unread 03-30-2014, 08:29 AM   #10
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedOrangeCJ View Post
right on. I'll look into the carb issue and see if I can get a newish one. As for the upstream and downstream air check valves - any idea where I can get a replacement or input on getting the old one off? or a charcoal canister? If I can fix the massive vacuum leak there and get a new canister I'll be able to live with the BBD I have for a few more weeks. thanks
nate
The original CJ canister is no longer available new. However, a canister for a mid-90s Grand Cherokee is almost identical, with a small modification.

Here's a write-up on the conversion.

Offhand, I don't know of a source for the Pulse Air tubes.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 06:38 AM   #11
hawkrider
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedOrangeCJ View Post
nate
FWIW, I'm going through similar issues. I've had my '82 CJ7(258ci) for 20+ years, and have been limping along on a rebuilt POS Carter BBD for a long time. Everything I've read in this thread is true (in my experience). You can't replace that carb with any other and stay here in the Golden State. Even IF it passed emmisions, if they see it they will fail you.

My current issue is my choke just went bad (I think the internal spring spapped). I am trying to find a replacement choke; no luck so far. I have seen BBD's on line rebuilt, and some that claim to be new (Ebay). I just don't really want to spend the money. I am planning (hopefully soon) to do an engine rebuild or replacement and go with the Mopar EFI kit. High dollar route, but the best from what I read. But I don't have the money or all of the parts research done yet, so I need to find a way to get through one more smog check (June) and maybe do the work this summer.

Any input on replacement engines? I hear mixed reviews of ATK; some very bad. What about a good machine shop in the SF bay area?

Lou
hawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 10:28 PM   #12
RuggedOrangeCJ
1983 CJ7 

Thanks Matt for the Canister write up - Picking one up tomorrow afternoon for 30bucks (CP1061 - and gonna do the little mod needed). a little disheartened that I cant upgrade that damn BBD! I'll be ordering a new carb from national I guess and throwing it on there in the next week or so. Matt - do you know if they come tuned - bolt and go - or will it require fiddling? I'm also ordering a new ignition box this week. Will an MSD work or should I just stick with OEM? bout a hundred bucks difference.

Anyways - thanks for the links and advice - I'll let ya know how the canister and carb goes. (can I switch the Carb after smog? hahaha) I also found a link to a site that sell the air check valves and pipes I was looking for. Here is the link if you guys want to take a look - pricing seems pretty good and they have a few other things I'd like to pick up. http://teamcherokee.com/pulse-air-tu...-cj-1983-1986/

Tags
carburator , emissions , exhaust , vacuum leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.