Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Emergency brake cable too short.

14K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  yaryght 
#1 ·
I recently got myself an 85 CJ7, it's got Full Traction 5.5 SOA lift. I have never owned a jeep....never wanted one but my wife did. She wanted a Wrangler and I thought I would get a CJ because there aren't that many around and now I will probably always own a Jeep! Anyway, the emergency brake cable is too short and I would like to get the brake working. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Rich.

Go Steelers!!!:D:D:2thumbsup:

#3 ·
A simple option for a SOA set up using stock cables. I run all stock e-brake cables. I had to reroute the pass and drivers side brake cables through the springs where I have enough flex in them when needed. I also cut the original tub mount in under the center of the tub and just zip tied it until I make a bracket an bolt it to the tub. That was a year ago, so it is way low on the list right now.:D

#4 ·
If you have purchased a CJ with a SOA the rear drivers side would have been too short to reach the brake drum after the axle flip and they are often left off. The rear passenger side should still be long enough, but you must have to drivers side to tie into it for it to work. The only option I found is to buy the longer rear passenger side cable (any parts store can get you one) and put a gentle loop in it, being sure not to kink it, find a place to afix it with some plastic quik ties where it will be out of the way. If this is the case I can email you a pic or 2 of what I did. I've done this on several CJ SOA's and it's always worked flawlessly.

#5 ·
I think these will work better

stock right CJ cable is sheath 52.75" and total length 61.25"

YJ - 87-90 Right side
Crown number 52004706
omix-ada number 16730.18
sheath 58" total length 66.5"
http://www.jeepoutfitter.com/brakes-20/87-96-yj-brakes-46/yj-emergency-brake-cable-409.html

stock left CJ cable is sheath 24.13" and total 33.63"

YJ - 91-95 left cable is
crown number 52007523
omix-ada number 16730.21
sheath is 26.87"
total length is 39.5"
http://www.jeepoutfitter.com/brakes-20/87-96-yj-brakes-46/yj-emergency-brake-cable-407.html

I did a lot of research and this is what I have picked out to put on my SOA CJ. I have not bought them yet so all I have to go on are the numbers I could scratch up on the web.

#6 ·
Thanks for the help. So it looks like the YJ cables are the way to go? I know that the pasenger and drivers side are not hooked up. He told me that the driver's side was too short. I took the next 2 days off to work on the Jeep. Thanks again and I am looking forward to learning jeeps!

Rich.

#8 ·
Well I have seen several write ups where people with lifted XJ's changed to YJ passenger side e-brake cables. The ends on the XJ cables are the same as the ends on the CJ cables. So to say they are not interchangeable might mean that you have to modify something. Welcome to Jeep land. Nothing fits without some cutting, hammering and cussing. It's part of the game.

#9 ·
I am almost finished with my frame swap onmy CJ7 I put in all new E brake cables and the cable from the pedal to the bracket where the other two cables join is to short.. it just makes it but there is not enough thread to put a nut on. am I supposed to put some tension on it to bring it closer? Wouldnt that engade the brakes? what should i do.. Is there an extender i can tread onto it to make it about an inch longer? any advise?

#11 ·
Nope, you have something in the wrong place from the sound of it. That front cable should not be affected by a frame swap.... Is your tub in the right place?

#10 ·
I was concerned about this when I was doing my SOA. Prior to doing it I spoke with a rep from inline tube when I got my fuel lines. I was told they make custom brake cables. He told me all they would need is the measurements. I didnt get a price on them. And ended up going a rear disc so I never tried them out. Might be worth a call?

#13 ·
Is the pedal all the way up? They hang down with no cable on them to pull them back up.

Other that that, you may have to move the bracket up to get the slack.

#15 ·
I too struggled with the driver's side cable being too short with my 1" body lift and 4.5 suspension lift. Not to mention the fact that I have SSBC disc brakes on the rear now.

The idea to use a second passenger's side cable is great. I will fall back to that if my idea falls through, but here is what I am going to do:

This is a kit where you can make your own cables. Kind of expensive, but I hope to end up with a a couple of nice custom rear cables.

Lokar EC-80FUTB - Lokar Floor Mount Emergency Brake Cables-Overview - SummitRacing.com

#17 ·
I have e-brake issues myself after 4" suspension lift and 2" body lift. I'll plan to go the Lokar route. Thanks cshutchinson!

#20 ·
Using a pass side cable is a great idea and probably the easiest.

I went another route, got a pedal to equalizer(front) cable for a Scrambler which is longer than a 7 and cut off then moved and rewelded the mount on the frame. was able to keep the stock rear cables and plenty of room for them, not to mention it looks completely factory if that's a thing for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.