Emergency brake adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Emergency brake adjustment

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

Emergency brake adjustment

1984 CJ-7

the nut that adjust the tension or adjustment on the emergency brake cable is frozen and will not turn, (need to loosen the emergency brake cable soon)

I have been spraying the nut with Kano Lab Aero Kroil oil ever morning, but so far no movement.

Is there a better penetrating oil i could use, just hate to get the torch involved as it is so close to the fuel tank.

have heard that a combination of acetone and automatic trans fluid is a top penetrating oil??

Thanks,
Fred

wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I think Kroil is the best. When you talk torch, do you meen propane or Oxy-Acetylene? If the later, use a small brazing/welding tip to heat the nut. This creates plenty of heat, with very little flame. A welding blanket or wet rags can be used for protection were needed. And you do have a good one of these in your garage, right.

Bill
forumrunner_20110826_155844.jpg  
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
I think Kroil is the best. When you talk torch, do you meen propane or Oxy-Acetylene? If the later, use a small brazing/welding tip to heat the nut. This creates plenty of heat, with very little flame. A welding blanket or wet rags can be used for protection were needed. And you do have a good one of these in your garage, right.

Bill
thanks for your reply,
yes, i do have a good fire protection equipment in the shop,

i was a safety officer and still have issues with welding/cutting around gas tanks, who knows when old tanks are leaking fumes.
just me, i guess

will try the kroil, a few more days, if no movement, then i will have to get out the old torch.

kroil is good stuff, about the best i have ever used,

guess i am lucky the old jeep emergency brakes work at all.
Unread 08-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Can you unhook the two rear cables from the equalizer? Mine simply has a cotter pin that holds the ball for each rear cable in place.
Once they are unhooked, you can swing it down away from the gas tank.
skizriz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
Can you unhook the two rear cables from the equalizer? Mine simply has a cotter pin that holds the ball for each rear cable in place.
Once they are unhooked, you can swing it down away from the gas tank.

Good idea,
i noticed that this morning as i was under jeep spraying the adjustment nut.

if it does not break loose in a few more days i will take the carter pins out and drop it down,

also i need to find the gas line from tank to fuel pump, need to know where that bad guy is before i get under jeep with a torch.

thanks for that tip, disconnected it will make it eaiser to work on, do not want to break the adjustment rod and have to replace the complete cable.
Unread 08-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #6
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Fuel supply line on mine (258 engine ) runs up the passenger side. Return and vent are on driver side.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

That 'adjustment' nut you are chasing is only used when you put in new cables to set it up. The emergency brake adjustment and auto adjuster are inside the rear drum.

The star wheel adjusts the rear pads tight to the drum which sets the emergency brake pedal height at the same time. When the star wheel is seized or the auto adjuster cable has rusted off or the shoes have worn out, the pedal goes really low real fast.

If you use the cable adjustment to raise the pedal, you face the real possibility that the cable will become the pivot point for the shoes instead of the star wheel. If this happens, you usually stretch and break cables.

You should inspect the brake shoes first, then be sure the star wheel is working with it's little adjuster cable. Then every time you hit the brakes in reverse after hitting the brakes in forward, the shoes adjust up until they hit the drum.

I haven't had to mess with my cable nut since I installed all new cables back in 1999 or so.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

mike,

one adjustment i was wanting to make was to lower the petal height when it engages the emergency brake,

currently it engages at about 1/4 down on the petal, i wanted it to engage at about 1/2 the petal
that is why i was trying to adjust the nut, hoping to allow the petal to move down a bit.

also it seems the cables are a little tight, seem to me to have too much tension on the cables in released position.

but so far have not got the nut to move, will continue to work on it, may have to bring in the big dog torch. i want to be able to adjust the cable nut, even if it not my current brake problem.

will check out the adjusting nut inside brake drum.

Thanks,
Unread 09-08-2011, 03:51 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You are correct for the adjustment then, if you loosen it at the star wheel, that will also lower your brake pedal down so first pump on the pedal is low and second pump is proper.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

That tension on the cable is not from the adjustment. There are springs on each cable inside the drum to help pull the cables back after the pedal is released. If the cables aren't worn out, those springs can be fairly strong.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.