electronic points conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > electronic points conversion

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
jennkent5454
1979 CJ5 

electronic points conversion

I am looking to replace my points and condensor with electronic. I have been reading all night and dont understand it any better. I only want to install what goes into the distributor, not the full system. What needs to be purchased to do this? Will I see any benifits from doing this?

jennkent5454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
CSP

There's only one way to do this without installing an actual electronic distributor along with an ignition module and that's with a Pertronix points converstion kit. HEI distributors have the module built in, but you still have to swap the distributor.

I have no idea what you've read so far, but there are a bunch of threads here detailing exactly what to do. It's really not that hard if you have the ability to follow instructions.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

WHAT points and condenser?

If your Jeep is stock you already have a Motorcraft (read that FORD) electronic ignition. The last year Jeep used points was 1974.

Unless someone swapped an older engine in, you should be good. Otherwise, are you talking about Pertronix?

IF you have a points distributor and the engine is from the 70s, I'm 90% positive the distributor is a Delco. (Just Employ Everybody's Parts.) If that's the case you're looking for a Pertronix kit for a Delco 6 cylinder distributor. You probably won't find it for "Jeep". I don't know that for sure, but that's usually the case looking for parts.

To be sure, between the #2 & #3 spark plugs is a machined surface with numbers stamped on. That's the code for the build date of your engine. We can decode that if you post it.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
jennkent5454
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
WHAT points and condenser?

If your Jeep is stock you already have a Motorcraft (read that FORD) electronic ignition. The last year Jeep used points was 1974.

Unless someone swapped an older engine in, you should be good. Otherwise, are you talking about Pertronix?
I didn't realize that. It is on my list of things to do and I just assumed it had points.
Thanks for the info
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

What you MAY want to do (I'd recommend it) is look into the "Team Rush upgrade". When our Jeeps were built the distributor cap was fairly small and could lead to misfires caused by spark jumps. Ford later fixed that and created a retrofit correction for our distributors.

What's involved is putting an adapter that widens the attachment point for the distributor cap. Now we can use a wider cap that prevents spark crossing over. It is a VERY SIMPLE fix and can improve performance. The threads are plentiful and extensive on this. Just use the search for "Team Rush".

Do yourself a favor and don't use cheap parts. Just open the wallet and wince, buy the good parts with brass contacts, etc. You will save money in the long run.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
CSP

Good catch Windknot! I didn't even look at what year the OP had.
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Oh puleeeze. Keep doing that and I'll think too much of myself! IF that's possible!

Unread 07-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
jennkent5454
1979 CJ5 

here is all the info you need
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ig...grade-1302931/
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
jennkent5454
1979 CJ5 

after reading that TEAMRUSH upgrade link again Im not sure what plugs and wires to purchase. do you get them also for the '82 Ford F150 300 CID I-6?
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
CSP

The plugs don't change. Just open up the gap to somewhere in the 0.040"-0.045" range.

The Ford plug wires will work, but '91 Wrangler with the 4.0 will fit better and have the correct ends for the tower style distributor cap you will have with that swap.
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
jennkent5454
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
the plugs don't change. Just open up the gap to somewhere in the 0.040"-0.045" range.

The ford plug wires will work, but '91 wrangler with the 4.0 will fit better and have the correct ends for the tower style distributor cap you will have with that swap.
thank you!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.