electronic help needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > electronic help needed

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 07-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

electronic help needed

I purchased a 1981 CJ7 a couple of years ago. It has a 258 ci engine. About ayear after driving it I noticed a small box, in the engine compartment on the passenger side, was melting. It looks kind of like an igntion module. Metal on the outside with the plastic molding on the back side. i took it off and the Jeep ran fine so I left it off. The Jeep also has a regular ignition module on the drivers side below the master cylinder. The back of it has started melting. The Jeep runs great but the ignition module and alternator get hot. Does anyone know what the module on the passenger side is? Is it supposed to be there or was it added by one of the many owners? What would cause my ignition module to melt?

BeesJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
Uncle Russ
1984 CJ7 

Sounds like it could be the alternator's voltage regulator, but I'm not sure.
-- Robert Earl Keen

Military Jeepers Click Here!
Uncle Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

81's came with an internal regulator (but someone could have swapped it). The 81 that I had didn't have any boxes on the pass side (that I can remember).
(A pic would help!)
Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Joe
81's came with an internal regulator (but someone could have swapped it). The 81 that I had didn't have any boxes on the pass side (that I can remember).
(A pic would help!)
Enjoy!
Close, they are external regulators. Jeep had a few years where they did this. I know people have bypassed this and upgraded to a newer alt, say 83 up to 86. They key is to replace the solenoid, coil and alt with a higher voltage, so it won't melt. Not sure on the distributor and cap. Someone else can chime in.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #5
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

So the 81's had an external regulator? Where can I get a new one? The parts catalogs do not list this.
Unread 07-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard
Close, they are external regulators. Jeep had a few years where they did this. I know people have bypassed this and upgraded to a newer alt, say 83 up to 86. They key is to replace the solenoid, coil and alt with a higher voltage, so it won't melt. Not sure on the distributor and cap. Someone else can chime in.
Funny my 76 had an internal regulator as did all the 258's afterwards. Only the V8's had external regulators on the alternator. Just look at a schematic. By 1980 all the alternators, V8 or I6 were internal.

What may be puking it's guts out may be Idle Speed Switch.
Does it look like one of these:?

The Idle Speed Switch would kick up the RPM if the Electric manifold heater or AC compressor was engaged. If you took it off your RPMs would not change and may drop low when there was any load on the alternator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesJeep
So the 81's had an external regulator? Where can I get a new one? The parts catalogs do not list this.
They don't exist for 81 CJ's. That's why they can't find them.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

Yes, that's it! I took it off last year because it was melting and the Jeep kept running fine. I noticed the other day that my igntion module was getting hot and melting and I didn't know if that had anything to do with it. The Jeep does not have AC so I wonder why it is on there. Do you think it is ok without it?
Unread 07-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes, it's probably OK but if you have your headlights on and you just started your jeep and the Heater manifold is on and your jeep dies, just step on the gas a little. They put it on all CJ's that year to keep the engines running with all the emmission stuff before they came out with the computer in the '82 (CA) and '84 and later CJ's It didn't matter if you had AC or not.

It should not have anything to do with the ICM but you might want to purchase a spare ICM just in case the current ICM overheats and dies. They are about $30.00 and save you a walk home.

Don't leave your key in the ON position listening to the radio or testing your electrical system. This kills the ICM fast.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
BeesJeep
1981 CJ7 

Thanks John. That was helpful info. Do you know where I could get a new Idle Speed Switch? I can't find them in any catalogs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.