Electrical woes/ '63 CJ-3B - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Electrical woes/ '63 CJ-3B

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-31-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Goosedog
1963 CJ3B 

Electrical woes/ '63 CJ-3B

Here's the symptoms. Motor purrs like a kitten while cold and for the first 30min after it gets up to full operating temperature. Then she starts to cut out whenever motor is taxed. If I try and shift gears and accelerate like normal up to a cruising RPM, it coughs, sputters and dies. Once I pull over and restart, it's good for another 100yrds and dies again. If however, I drive at the lowest RPM possible it stays smooth enuf to get me back home, albeit at 15mph.

I had a dirtbike do this once and it turned out to be the coil. It always tested okay cold but once it heated up the plastic parts would expand and create disconnections within.

Can someone explain the various electrical components in the spark sending circuitry and give their best guess which is the most likely one to go out? Also the battery, distributor, plugs and plug wires are all new. The shop that had the jeep briefly before I did put in those parts. The only electrical I've done is clean up and/or replace what looked worn out in the way of wires and connections.

Thanks, Goose

Goosedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.