Electrical Woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Electrical Woes

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 06-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
cj7roaddog
1979 CJ7 

Electrical Woes

I know theres been a thousand threads on this problem and I've read through as many pertaining my situation as possible but I an figure this out.

I just put in a painless engine compartment harness using the original fuse block. I had to make some minor adjustments but it work out ok, I think. Anyway, after installing the harness the battery went dead the next day. Tried to charge it and it wouldn't take a charge. So I went down and got a yellow top and put it in. Fired right up. Great, I thought. The next day the brand new battery was dead. So I went through all the battery connections from pos to neg and took them off and clean them really well. Took the ground off from the battery neg to the block, block to frame, battery neg to dash, and cleaned them really well. Took that battery out of the equation and used my F150 battery using jumper cables to start it... nothing. So being that some of the electrical components are a little tired I went down and bought a coil and solenoid. Came back put them in and the solenoid is just clicking.

I can't figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

1979 CJ7 I6 (Fresh motor) - T18A Tranny - Dana 20 Transfer - CV Driveline - Dana 30 Wide Axle - AMC 20 Wide Axle - 410 Gears - 33" Tires - 4 1/2 Rubicon Lift - ARB Front Locker - Detroit Rear Locker - Custom Cage

cj7roaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Some where in your wiring you have a constant current draw.
Get your hands on a clamp on ammeter.
with the ignition and everything else off put the ammeter on the + battery cable there should be zero current draw.
If there is any current draw start pulling one fuze at a time when it drops to zero you have found what circuit is drawing current then all you have to do is find out why.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

You probably either wired up the alternator to where it is always trying to charge, or you wired up the coil to where it is always trying to fire.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.