Electrical Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Electrical Questions

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
akdanny
1981 CJ7 

Electrical Questions

First off, I am grounding all my accessory switches to the inside of my cab (body), is that ok? Where should I be putting the grounds (7 of them)? Also, recently my alternator is going down to 11 volts at the stop light, but back up near 14 when driving. Is that the beginning of the alternator going out?
all responses are very appreciated, Dan

akdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2008, 12:30 AM   #2
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdanny View Post
First off, I am grounding all my accessory switches to the inside of my cab (body), is that ok? Where should I be putting the grounds (7 of them)?
Yes, you can run all the dash and switching grounds to one place, just remember to run a wire from there to the battery or primary ground!
Doesn't do them any good to all be together if that panel isn't getting ground!

Quote:
Also, recently my alternator is going down to 11 volts at the stop light, but back up near 14 when driving. Is that the beginning of the alternator going out?
all responses are very appreciated, Dan
No, alternator isn't going out, probably the ground to the alternator, (Through engine, brackets, ect.) is loose, or you have a problem with the placement of the 'Sense' wire to the regulator.
VERY common with these old CJ's!
(Easy to fix too!)

Could also be things like stretched, worn belt, worn out pulleys (if the 'V' sides aren't straight, but bowed out '( )', then the pulleys are shot)

Belt was never intended to reach the bottom of the 'V', if the center of the pulley is polished, then the pulley or belt (or both!) are worn out!

Like one of the other guys here is fond of saying,
"Mud is liquid sand paper!",
So if you do a lot of mudding, expect the belts to go every year, and pulleys to go about every three years...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.