electrical questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > electrical questions

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Reply
Unread 07-24-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
cityofcompton3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 37
electrical questions

77cj7 v8 360 engine

Alright i am already regretting not going with a painless wiring kit, I went with some other company which i have found is not nearly as good as painless can boast. Anyway, i did taillights, headlights, and all that goes with that. I have the dash, steering wheel, and the engine compartment more or less to wire. (Yes i know i did the easy part first). Anyway here are my several questions...

I attempted to start the engine compartment next and have run into several differences in my wiring harness to the wiring that is existing in the jeep. First, i cannot find my voltage regulator, (are those part of the ignition control pack?)

Second, i am having a hard time figuring out what the wires that come out my ignition control pack are all for, i trace them to where they go and am still a little confused, one appears to be a ground (black wire), one power (red wire), another set is sent to the distributor, and there is a final wire (light blue) which appears to go to the solonoid but i don't get what it is for any help? Does anyone have a diagram that tells what the wires coming out of the ignition control module does?

Finally, i have a wire in my harness labeled the alternator excitor wire. I have on clue where this wire goes and am a little confused to say the least, is this wire necissary if there is already a power wire going to the alternator.
(anyone have a suggestion on a book i could buy that breaks wiring down relatively simply?)
i guess those are my questions for now, thanks

cityofcompton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2005, 01:35 PM   #2
Rockram1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ackworth, IA
Posts: 402
Chiltons or a Haynes manual should have the schematics your looking for. As for the voltage regulator I believe it's built into the alt. I'm not home now or I'd look it up. What years did the harness you have cover?

I'm getting ready to put a painless in my CJ5 as part of the restoration.
__________________
86 CJ7, 258, t18, D300, D44's 4.56's, Detroit front, Warn shafts and CTM joints, spool rear, SOA, SRS, waggy springs, 6 point cage, Warn winch, 38" Tsl, Allied beadlocks.
Rockram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
cityofcompton3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 37
i am not positive the years it covered i know it was good for a 77 which i have. Smart man for buying the painless i hear they are elite. Way better than what i am trying to use right now. Thanks for the regulator answer. Anyone else have any suggestions about the rest of the questions i asked. I have looked at a Chiltons and Hanes manual and can't find answers to the other questions i asked.
thanks
cityofcompton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
Geer_hed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofcompton3
I attempted to start the engine compartment next and have run into several differences in my wiring harness to the wiring that is existing in the jeep. First, i cannot find my voltage regulator, (are those part of the ignition control pack?)
What kind of alternator do you have? If you have a Delco Remy 10/12SI, it's internally regulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofcompton3
Second, i am having a hard time figuring out what the wires that come out my ignition control pack are all for, i trace them to where they go and am still a little confused, one appears to be a ground (black wire), one power (red wire), another set is sent to the distributor, and there is a final wire (light blue) which appears to go to the solonoid but i don't get what it is for any help? Does anyone have a diagram that tells what the wires coming out of the ignition control module does?
They all have a purpose, also, not your ingition "pack", rather ignition "module". Didn't know what you were saying until you started naming wire colors.

RED - hot in ON and START - from ignition switch to ignition module and starter solenoid I terminal
BLUE - hot in START - from ignition switch to ignition module and starter solenoid S terminal

BLACK - to distributor (terminates at cap base plate screw) - it is GROUND
PURPLE - to distributor - spark out signal from pickup coil
ORANGE - to distributor - spark in signal from pickup coil
GREEN - to ignition coil - terminal - ignition coil primary ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofcompton3
Finally, i have a wire in my harness labeled the alternator excitor wire. I have on clue where this wire goes and am a little confused to say the least, is this wire necissary if there is already a power wire going to the alternator.
(anyone have a suggestion on a book i could buy that breaks wiring down relatively simply?)
Run it to a switched ON B+ source. It energizes the alternator field and tells it when to start charging. See the alternator link above.
__________________
[center][color=black][b]85 CJ7 / 258 / T176 / Dana 30/ AMC 20[/b][/color]
[url=http://www.geocities.com/cantwait_forviolence/]My Online Dumping Ground[/url][/center]
Geer_hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
cityofcompton3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 37
wow, thanks i think that i can handle it from here....though i have to say be ready for more questions as i make my way along this project.
as i am just a novice when it comes to this....
cityofcompton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2005, 03:21 PM   #6
gumby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: I am at your girlfriends house
Posts: 463
painless wireharness instructions can be downloaded I know you dont have that kit but the wire diagram is the best when trying to figure out the wiring. hanes manual are hard to read
__________________
1984 CJ-7 offroad special loves to get dirty and play rough. unlike the girls I meet
258 rebuilt with torquer cam/ weber 32/36 carb, HEI ignition ,headers 4 in lift AMC 20 detroit rear locked and trussed / tru trax front 4:56 Gears ,solid axles on 35's

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."-
Robert Frost
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.