electrical questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > electrical questions

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-24-2005, 01:49 PM   #1
cityofcompton3

electrical questions

77cj7 v8 360 engine

Alright i am already regretting not going with a painless wiring kit, I went with some other company which i have found is not nearly as good as painless can boast. Anyway, i did taillights, headlights, and all that goes with that. I have the dash, steering wheel, and the engine compartment more or less to wire. (Yes i know i did the easy part first). Anyway here are my several questions...

I attempted to start the engine compartment next and have run into several differences in my wiring harness to the wiring that is existing in the jeep. First, i cannot find my voltage regulator, (are those part of the ignition control pack?)

Second, i am having a hard time figuring out what the wires that come out my ignition control pack are all for, i trace them to where they go and am still a little confused, one appears to be a ground (black wire), one power (red wire), another set is sent to the distributor, and there is a final wire (light blue) which appears to go to the solonoid but i don't get what it is for any help? Does anyone have a diagram that tells what the wires coming out of the ignition control module does?

Finally, i have a wire in my harness labeled the alternator excitor wire. I have on clue where this wire goes and am a little confused to say the least, is this wire necissary if there is already a power wire going to the alternator.
(anyone have a suggestion on a book i could buy that breaks wiring down relatively simply?)
i guess those are my questions for now, thanks

cityofcompton3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
Rockram1

Chiltons or a Haynes manual should have the schematics your looking for. As for the voltage regulator I believe it's built into the alt. I'm not home now or I'd look it up. What years did the harness you have cover?

I'm getting ready to put a painless in my CJ5 as part of the restoration.
Unread 07-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
cityofcompton3

i am not positive the years it covered i know it was good for a 77 which i have. Smart man for buying the painless i hear they are elite. Way better than what i am trying to use right now. Thanks for the regulator answer. Anyone else have any suggestions about the rest of the questions i asked. I have looked at a Chiltons and Hanes manual and can't find answers to the other questions i asked.
thanks
Unread 07-24-2005, 02:59 PM   #4
Geer_hed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofcompton3
I attempted to start the engine compartment next and have run into several differences in my wiring harness to the wiring that is existing in the jeep. First, i cannot find my voltage regulator, (are those part of the ignition control pack?)
What kind of alternator do you have? If you have a Delco Remy 10/12SI, it's internally regulated.

Quote:
Second, i am having a hard time figuring out what the wires that come out my ignition control pack are all for, i trace them to where they go and am still a little confused, one appears to be a ground (black wire), one power (red wire), another set is sent to the distributor, and there is a final wire (light blue) which appears to go to the solonoid but i don't get what it is for any help? Does anyone have a diagram that tells what the wires coming out of the ignition control module does?
They all have a purpose, also, not your ingition "pack", rather ignition "module". Didn't know what you were saying until you started naming wire colors.

RED - hot in ON and START - from ignition switch to ignition module and starter solenoid I terminal
BLUE - hot in START - from ignition switch to ignition module and starter solenoid S terminal

BLACK - to distributor (terminates at cap base plate screw) - it is GROUND
PURPLE - to distributor - spark out signal from pickup coil
ORANGE - to distributor - spark in signal from pickup coil
GREEN - to ignition coil - terminal - ignition coil primary ground

Quote:
Finally, i have a wire in my harness labeled the alternator excitor wire. I have on clue where this wire goes and am a little confused to say the least, is this wire necissary if there is already a power wire going to the alternator.
(anyone have a suggestion on a book i could buy that breaks wiring down relatively simply?)
Run it to a switched ON B+ source. It energizes the alternator field and tells it when to start charging. See the alternator link above.
Unread 07-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
cityofcompton3

wow, thanks i think that i can handle it from here....though i have to say be ready for more questions as i make my way along this project.
as i am just a novice when it comes to this....
Unread 07-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #6
gumby

painless wireharness instructions can be downloaded I know you dont have that kit but the wire diagram is the best when trying to figure out the wiring. hanes manual are hard to read
258 rebuilt with torquer cam/ weber 32/36 carb, HEI ignition ,headers 4 in lift AMC 20 detroit rear locked and trussed / tru trax front 4:56 Gears ,solid axles on 35's

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."-
Robert Frost
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.