Electrical problem!! i need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Electrical problem!! i need help!

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-14-2002, 06:24 PM   #1
cj5mudman4x4

Electrical problem!! i need help!

My 73' Cj5 has been being rebuilt for about a year now, i have rebuilt the engine, put a new alternator on, new coil, new battery, new solenoids, new cables, almost everything to do with the battery. a new exhaust manifold, just countless things! now i was driving to town and it did fine, besides steering, thats another story, when i got to where i was going i did my thing and i got ready to go and my jeep wouldnt even try to turn over, absolutely nothing. it had done this before, but a new battery fixed it right up. i gave it a push start and was on my way. while i was driving the headlights would get dim and go out (scary on a country road at night!) then my jeep would die! it did this 2 times on the way home! i got home and put the charger on it and it hasnt acted up since! WHATS GOIN ON??

INDEPENDENT OFFROAD member Bowling Green, Ky
cj5mudman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2002, 08:03 PM   #2
bowhunter

sounds like the alt not charging the battery
bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2002, 08:47 PM   #3
Big Bill 33

It does sound like the Alt or it could be a loose ground wire also. Just because it's new does not mean it cannot be bad. Good luck.
Unread 11-14-2002, 09:41 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Odds are the brushes in the Ford style starter are bad. Drop the starter and take the back off. I'll bet the brushes are worn down and the brush arms are contacting the armature raising the brushes off the commutator.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2002, 09:51 PM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Silly me, I didn't read the second half of your post. It sounds like a charging problem. Check all conections between the alt. and batt. If the problem is intermitant, try replacing the voltage regulator. You also might want to inspect your wiring harness for shorts, especialy around the exhaust.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2002, 07:40 AM   #6
jrejle

I had similar problems with my 74 CJ5. I pulled the wire connector going to the voltage regulator off and rebuilt the connector. I havent had a problem since then.
jrejle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.