Electrical issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Electrical issue

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #16
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Spark plugs?

LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #17
sailracr
1985 CJ7 

I drove 3 1/2 hours to Tampa w/o issue before "something" happened. Before I left I replaced the plugs, wires, & distributor. A wire, sensor, or computer has failed I think, but which of the many choices it is I have no idea. I know for sure that I have constant 12v on the A0 and B0 stepping motor diagnostic but what is causing it I have no idea. There is some voltage on the O2 sensor (always less than .5v as far as I can tell) but maybe it's bad. I'm thinking to change it just to find out.
sailracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #18
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Disconnect the O2 sensor, and see if it runs worst.
If it runs the same. Your O2 sensor is DOA.
LG
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #19
sailracr
1985 CJ7 

I have disconnected it and there is no change in how it runs or action of the stepping motor. I'll just replace it and post the results.
Unread 10-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #20
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Start soaking the area with a penetrating oil NOW. They get really rusted in place.
On the re-install, apply copper anti-seize to the sensor's threads.
IF, this is the issue------Carry a spare O2 sensor with you in your tool kit.
LG
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
sailracr
1985 CJ7 

Thanks to all for the help. I haven't managed to fix it yet but I have discovered that the previous owner has performed the "nutter" bypass meaning that the non functioning stepper motor, sensors, etc are expected. Ahh the joys of buying a jeep from the son of the mechanic who lives in California, rust free but the son knows nothing about the jeep, what's been done, etc. I've managed to get the jeep home so now it's EFI, new ignition, and engine rebuild time. I'm sure I'll ping you all from time to time and I'll post progress pix I go. Looking forward to really "getting to know" this jeep.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.