Electrical gremlins - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Electrical gremlins

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Skotter

turn signal gremlins

I recently installed LED flushmount turn/run/brake lights on the rear of my 85 CJ. Everything but turn signals worked, which I expected due to lighter load. They worked when I hooked up my trailer lights, fine, no unknown problem there.

Then I replaced the front signals with LED flushmount run/turn. I also installed an electronic flasher (#262) which is supposed to be a direct replacement for the 552 thermal stock flasher. The signals didn't flash, but they would stay on (bright), so I added an small incand. light (more load) inline in the front signals, still no flash, but solid on when I initiated the switch. Everything else (brakes, emergen. flashers, run lights) all work right.

I went thru all the light grounds, cleaning and re-attaching. Then I pulled the fuse block and cleaned contacts fuse contacts, and examined wires, all good. Still no flash, just solid bright when I hit the turn signal.

So I checked my 262 flasher at the light, between the hot and the light. They flashed correctly. Polarity didn't matter on the flasher, they worked. I'm getting 11.89v at the pos terminal in the flasher female spade contact of the fuse block with the turn signal activated.
If I just pull my turn signal fuse, no turn light at all. If I just pull the flasher, I still get constant hot running to the turn signals when I activate the signals.

Am I getting a hot into the turn signal circuit somewhere that's coming in after the flasher terminal? That would only be after I activated the turn signal, otherwise they would be always bright and I wouldn't have running lights.

This only started after I changed the front lights. They are three wire (ground, park, and turn) lights that work if I put the flasher relay between them and the hot turn wire. But nothing works with the flasher in the fuse block. I'm stumped.

Last edited by Skotter; 09-25-2011 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: more specific
Skotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Skotter

Could the turn signal switch itself cause a problem like this?

And the flasher relay does control the emergency flash too, right?
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Skotter

Still digging and I think I may have found the problem. My fuse block is marked and made for a hazard flasher, then next to it a turn flasher. But my fuse block only has connectors in the Hazard opening. There are no metal connectors in the turn flasher openings in the fuse block. Apparently it's somewhere down the line, past the block. I assumed from the fuse block that the hazard flasher ran both since there was no way to insert a flasher into the "flasher" space.

Jeez, I love me some AMC engineers.....
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Zorty
1983 CJ7 

Yes you're right. I just ran through my CJ earlier this year and converted all to LED (front, rear, and even glued some of the 3/4" trailer clearance LEds into the front side markers). The flasher you're trying to convert is not in the fuse block, but has its own plug on a pigtail that was just dangling near the fuse block in my situation. Should look the same as the hazard one you replaced (I'm assuming it would be the small silver can looking flasher). It was pretty easy to see if you knew you were looking for it. Good luck!
Zorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Skotter

Well that was it, I found the turn flasher tucked up behind the dash, above the elec. harness. Never would have seen it if I hadn't been looking specifically for it. Put the new electronic flasher in and... presto. We have turn signals again.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.