Electrical Ghost doesn't like to let me start... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Electrical Ghost doesn't like to let me start...

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #1
syn
1986 CJ7 

Electrical Ghost doesn't like to let me start...

So I long story short, I have starting troubles.

When I go to start up my 258 after its been sitting for a night there is extremely excessive cranking before I can get the engine to fire. Before I turn the key I usually sit on the gas pedal for a bit. That generally (not always) ensures that after 10-15 seconds of a cranking she will start. But that is not always the case.

When I stop cranking one of three things happen
1) Absolutely nothing
2) I get a hissing noise, she sounds like she's trying to start but cant and dies out or tries to keep sputtering until i turn the key to the off position
3) She starts shakily until i floor the gas and then she levels off and runs awesome until the next time that I have to turn her off.

When she fails to start some weird stuff happens when I go to try again. Generally if i try to key it straight into crank again there is some nasty grinding noise that I think it coming from the starter motor but I'm really not sure.
But If i key her into "on" i usually get a hissing noise and a small attempt at a start just like on a failed crank. I think this is odd (obviously) since im not keying it to crank.

I am really at a lost as to where this is coming from. I have seen plenty of CJ's that kick right over when you go to start them and would really like to get mine to that point. For a while I was thinking that the problem may lie in the carb, but now I feel like there has to be something in the wiring or ignition somewhere.

I have replaced the ICM (because the last one died over the winter) so I figure it's not that. Could it be the ECM, carb maybe? I have no idea at this point

syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Can you locate the point of the hissing? I'm thinking either a vacuum leak or if you stop it on a compression stroke you are hearing the compression bleed off. It could even be a partially burnt air/fuel mix bleeding down.

Do a compression check on it, and then verify that carb is getting plenty of fuel. A little fuel in the carb make it run easily? Has it been sitting for a long time? Maybe needs the carb redone.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

I would fix the starter problem first before looking for other problems my guess is that is the biggest problem going right now. Take it off and go to a auto parts store and have them test it. While you have it off look at the teeth on the starter gear and the ring gear for broken or missing teeth.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #4
syn
1986 CJ7 

Well to be honest I'm not sure how long its been sitting around, I know it hasn't had any serious use in a good many years, but the carb has been rebuilt once. I just have no idea when... I haven't done a compression test since the summer but over then it took maybe two or three cranks to get to either 115 or 130 if i recall correctly? Which I may be wrong about, but all the cylinders got up to pretty much the same pressure at the same rate.

Whats the best way to check for a vaccum leak? I wouldn't be surprised if I had one or some of the hoses hooked up wrong.

I'll definitely check out the starter motor although she cranks strong especially after shes been running for a few minutes. Do you know if its a totally sealed unit? Because I have a leak out of my rear main seal and thats gotten plenty of oil on the starter. Although I've had this issue long before the leak was present
syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ignition , starting

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.