Electrical burning smell and other strangeness help needed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Electrical burning smell and other strangeness help needed!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Electrical burning smell and other strangeness help needed!

Alright, these may or may not be related...

When I purchased the jeep, I noticed that the gas pedal was difficult to depress and despite being powered by a small block v-8 the jeep seemed to pig around in the low gears (I've got an automatic trans). However a few days ago I noticed that the pedal suddenly seemed freer, everything was more responsive and the trans seems to be shifting "harder" if that makes any sense at all. It seems a bit jumpy, but accelerates much more smoothly than before. Downshifting while going slow seems a bit clunkier. Generally, I'd say that the performance is nicer. No appreciable difference in engine or trans temp. Thoughts?

Onto the strange smell: Coming home tonight I noticed a very pungent smell in the cabin, suspect electrical. Possibly the lighting contactor. anyway to test this other than turning things on an off and sniffing?

AcidLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

I would see if the two are related. Check any wire near any of the throttle linkage. It sounds like part of the linkage somewhere was caught in some wires and eventually ripped the wires loose.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Small block chebby, 'Auto Trans', what kind of trans?
Did you look at the kick down cable if it's a TH-350?

What you are probably smelling is your kick down cable getting into something, or the trans cooking if the kick down cable burned through or broke...

Need more details to make an accurate assessment...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Update.

The trans issue has been resolved by turning off the OD and adding fluid. Apparently mine is only to be used on the highway. The smell was the dimmer switch taking a massive crap. It burned out on the way home, but it was original, so no big. I can spot myself 18.99 to replace it.
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Just get the right one or you could get into more trouble.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Just get the right one or you could get into more trouble.
No problem there. Fixed it up this morning.
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidLamp View Post
Update.

The trans issue has been resolved by turning off the OD and adding fluid. Apparently mine is only to be used on the highway. The smell was the dimmer switch taking a massive crap. It burned out on the way home, but it was original, so no big. I can spot myself 18.99 to replace it.
i had a 93 z71 in high school do the same thing, only instead of the dimmer switch going out the whole light switch itself was burning up and extremely hot to the touch. a mircale it didnt catch the dash on fire
Blakescj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
AcidLamp
1984 CJ7 

Yeah this one was my fault. I failed to cover the switch while drilling holes in the dash, and metal shavings got where they shouldn't have.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.