Electric Radiator fans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Electric Radiator fans

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 02-17-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
jeepmor

Electric Radiator fans

Anyone know of a Dorman part number for a dual fan setup that works on a jeep 84 CJ7 with minimal mods. Having trouble finding dimensions to measure against. I've heard a Taurus fan works, but what year is that? I'm not pulling out the knowledge gems just yet from my searching, and finding dual taurus fans isn't showing much.

I'm not interested in a flexalite kit unless I have to since Dorman's can be 1/4-1/3 the cost, typically.

jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 01:39 AM   #2
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

The dual fan set up from a Mercury Mystique or Ford Contour is about as close to a bolt on as there is out of a junk yard.

The Taurus fan will also work, but it will require a bit more adapting.

Unread 02-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #3
jeepmor

So the Taurus setup is a single fan, thanks. Mystique or Contour, got it.

Now my questions

1. Any years on those Mystique/Contour fans right?
2. Is that bolted through the radiator fins? Asking cause it looks that way.
3.What other mods with a Taurus fan, is that a jeep fan shroud or something different. Mods don't bother me, but whatever provides the cleanest result is what I'm after.

Thanks for the inputs, given me some good direction, much appreciated.
Unread 02-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

The dual fans from a Ford Mystique 1998.

Actually I think its 95-01. But 98 is a good year to look for. Your parts store should be able to cross reference it for you.
Paint it to match

My NP435 install [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/time-tranny-swap-upgrading-np435-1487201/[/url]
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

Also they only came on the v6 engines
Paint it to match

My NP435 install [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/time-tranny-swap-upgrading-np435-1487201/[/url]
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
Toine
1986 CJ7 

Almost everything you want to know about fan conversion can be found here
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...cheap-1325896/
Unread 02-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
benullman
1981 CJ7 

you can get 2 12" electric fans from advanced/napa/autozone (whatever the local brand is) and they fit just fine on the radiator.

Ben
Unread 02-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #8
jeepmor

Thanks everyone, I'll check out the link later. I know I can buy fans and mount to radiator, but I prefer them mounted to a fan shroud if possible. I'm just taking notes for future upgrade work.
Unread 02-19-2014, 02:56 AM   #9
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Dual fans out of a 90's Dodge Stratus are a perfect fit to the CJ radiator and move enough air to cool a SBC 350. Now with that said, I ditched my electric fan setup and went back to mechanical. I got tired of listening to the annoying high pitch whine of those fans all day on the trail and I questioned when they were going to quit working with so much dust in the air all the time wheeling in dry summer conditions. Mechanical fans are the way to go IMO. Deep water crossing is a biotch with mechanical. Gotta pull the belt, but other than that I'll take mechanical over electric any day.
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2014, 07:19 AM   #10
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
1. Any years on those Mystique/Contour fans right?
2. Is that bolted through the radiator fins? Asking cause it looks that way.
3.What other mods with a Taurus fan, is that a jeep fan shroud or something different.
1) You'll need the fan setup from the V6 model. Get as much of the wiring with it so you won't have to source the plugs. Mine is wired to a Flex-A-Lite controller that works the fan similar to modern vehicles. It 'soft starts' the unit (it does this by 'hitting' the motors with brief pulses of current), which makes a bit of noise, but once running it is not louder than the 5.0L motor:

I have the controller set up to also work with the fan 'always' on high, or fan 'always off'. This is controlled by the dash mounted switch on the left with indicator lights.

2) It is attached with plastic rods. I got mine from Summit, here's pic of a similar product:

3) The 3.8L Taurus/Sable fan is a beast. I show it test fitted to a stock CJ radiator fan of unknown model year.

It would take a bit of minor trimming and some sort of fasteners to make it one unit. The wiring could be easily handled depending on how you wanted the fan to function. It does draw a LARGE amount of amperage to start, so you will need to use relays with a direct connection to the battery. The next step up would be the 4.6L fan from a Mark VIII or V8 T-Bird. That is a much larger unit, but does move incredible amounts of air.
Unread 02-23-2014, 02:11 AM   #11
jeepmor

Thanks a bunch HackFab, that answers my questions and then some.

Also, electric motors always draw 3-5 times their operating current on start up.

Now, since I drive by a wrecking yard to work everyday, I just checked their inventory, they have 15 in my local area, 5 at the one I drive by every day. Looks like only $45 bucks. Wahoo, loading a tool kit for a weekday parts hunt. I'm all giddy.
Unread 02-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #12
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
1) You'll need the fan setup from the V6 model. Get as much of the wiring with it so you won't have to source the plugs. Mine is wired to a Flex-A-Lite controller that works the fan similar to modern vehicles. It 'soft starts' the unit (it does this by 'hitting' the motors with brief pulses of current), which makes a bit of noise, but once running it is not louder than the 5.0L motor:

I have the controller set up to also work with the fan 'always' on high, or fan 'always off'. This is controlled by the dash mounted switch on the left with indicator lights.

2) It is attached with plastic rods. I got mine from Summit, here's pic of a similar product:

3) The 3.8L Taurus/Sable fan is a beast. I show it test fitted to a stock CJ radiator fan of unknown model year.

It would take a bit of minor trimming and some sort of fasteners to make it one unit. The wiring could be easily handled depending on how you wanted the fan to function. It does draw a LARGE amount of amperage to start, so you will need to use relays with a direct connection to the battery. The next step up would be the 4.6L fan from a Mark VIII or V8 T-Bird. That is a much larger unit, but does move incredible amounts of air.
I'm in the process of installing this fan in my jeep and have been wondering how to attach it to the radiator. How is those plastic rods holding up? I'm curious to longevity with holding the fan and abuse from offroad.

Beat it to fit
Paint it to match

Unread 02-24-2014, 03:02 AM   #13
jeepmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78FordF150 View Post
I'm in the process of installing this fan in my jeep and have been wondering how to attach it to the radiator. How is those plastic rods holding up? I'm curious to longevity with holding the fan and abuse from offroad.

Unread 02-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #14
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Keep the stock mechanical fan. Less hassle, more reliable, and you won't be the guy on the trail with the annoying fan that is always running....

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #15
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Keep the stock mechanical fan. Less hassle, more reliable...
I had intended to use the stock Mustang fan:

Unfortunately, it would have required a Hack Fabricatiion Kustom Shroud. Upon closer examination, it also hung below the radiator's lower tank. That's why the electric conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
...and you won't be the guy on the trail with the annoying fan that is always running....
That would be the least of my concerns, considering all the annoying music, CB's, and miscellaneous junk clanging on fellow rigs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.