Electric questions 85' CJ-7 rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Electric questions 85' CJ-7 rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
miami-boy
1985 CJ7 

Electric questions 85' CJ-7 rebuild

hello people,
since my rebuild of my cj-7 the end tends to, I just have a few questions in relation to the electrics.
I have the 360 cui. amc installed and ran so far with a mallory distributor unlite, I'm now on a msd ignition switched with a 6al module. Do I have the motor craft maintained original ignition module or can I replace this module through the 6al? I hope you can understand my english and understand what I mean. next to the brake booster hangs a plug without connections, go ran three cables, can anyone tell me what this is for a male or probably could be??
Thanks in advance for your help! When I'm done also follows a documentation of my rebuild
miami-boy

miami-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami-boy View Post
hello people,
since my rebuild of my cj-7 the end tends to, I just have a few questions in relation to the electrics.

I have the 360 cui. amc installed and ran so far with a mallory distributor unlite,

I'm now on a msd ignition switched with a 6al module.

Do I have the motor craft maintained original ignition module or can I replace this module through the 6al?

I hope you can understand my english and understand what I mean.

next to the brake booster hangs a plug without connections, go ran three cables, can anyone tell me what this is for a male or probably could be??

Thanks in advance for your help! When I'm done also follows a documentation of my rebuild
miami-boy

This is what I can figure out.

You are near the end of your build.
You ran the 360 with a Mallory Unilite Distributor.

1. Did you Switch to a MSD distributor and running it with a MSD 6AL
or
2. Did you switch to a Motorcraft(DuraSpark) Distributor and running it with both the factory ICM and a MSD 6AL
and you want to eliminate the Motorcraft ICM with the MSD 6al.

Can you post a picture of the 3 prong connector?

It sounds like one of the connections for the MotorCraft(DuraSpark) ICM.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
miami-boy
1985 CJ7 

@ John,
thanks for the quick response.ich wanted 6al replace the motor craft ICM by the MSD, if that goes.
Before the build up of the motor ran with the mallory distributor and the ICM motor craft, although easily but I want to present rewire the harness in the engine compartment and I think, if I can replace the motor craft icm by the MSD 6al I've everything clean and uniform.

How can I set a photo here? I have not yet with me but is concerned I can then take a picture and post here with instructions tomorrow.

regards miami-boy
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
miami-boy
1985 CJ7 

hi guys,
here is the photo of the connector where I do not know what it is. it hangs to the left of the brake booster.
oh yes, what original installed at I-6.
Again to my question at the beginning of the threads, can i replace the original ICM module against the 6-AL MSD? before the build-up the engine ran with a Mallory unlit dizzy and the original ICM, now I have the mallory dizzy replaced with a MSD and would also like to replace the original ICM against the 6-AL MSD module.
thank you for your reply
regards from germany
miami-boy
p1020122.jpg  
Unread 01-06-2014, 04:41 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
hi guys,
here is the photo of the connector where I do not know what it is. it hangs to the left of the brake booster.
oh yes, what original installed at I-6.

A: Power to e-choke on Carburetor
B: ??? Can't find orang wire but not hooked up to anything else anyway.
C: To Idle Relay and Computer
D: Power To Solenoids and Stepper Motor controlled wich are controlled by computer
E: Fron "S" terminal on Starter Solenoid to let computer know when engine is trying to start
F: From Air Conditioning compressor to kick up engine idle speed.

Quote:
Again to my question at the beginning of the threads, can i replace the original ICM module against the 6-AL MSD? before the build-up the engine ran with a Mallory unlit dizzy and the original ICM, now I have the mallory dizzy replaced with a MSD and would also like to replace the original ICM against the 6-AL MSD module.
thank you for your reply
regards from germany
miami-boy
Not sure what connecteor the MSD distributor has on it but if it's like the original DuraSpark then you can hook it up like this:

They show using this harness (8860) and splice it in the distributor but use a 8869 harness and it will plug right in without splices.

http://www.msdignition.com/products/...ies/harnesses/

But I would check the connections on the MSD distributor and find the right connection.

http://www.msdignition.com/info.aspx?taxid=8&taxid2=419
Unread 01-06-2014, 06:23 AM   #6
miami-boy
1985 CJ7 

@ John Stenk: Thank you for the info, that helps me right on!
* .... where I now have a flaw, is the 4x4 display in the speedometer ... I have the T-18 4-speed transmission installed ... but now I'm not sure if the display has ever shined in tachometer when one is driven in 4x4 mode .... as, or which is the trigger?? I got to the front axle freewheeling hubs fitted and as far as I can see it now, only one sensor on the gearbox for the reverse gear ..... can you give me as yet to give information as to where the signal comes from, or where it is picked up?

thanks
miami-boy
Unread 01-06-2014, 06:55 AM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The 4x4 indicator light is switched from the transfer case.

Matt
skidmod6.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
@ John Stenk: Thank you for the info, that helps me right on!
* .... where I now have a flaw, is the 4x4 display in the speedometer ... I have the T-18 4-speed transmission installed ... but now I'm not sure if the display has ever shined in tachometer when one is driven in 4x4 mode .... as, or which is the trigger?? I got to the front axle freewheeling hubs fitted and as far as I can see it now, only one sensor on the gearbox for the reverse gear ..... can you give me as yet to give information as to where the signal comes from, or where it is picked up?

thanks
miami-boy
Normally if you have a T-18 with a D-20 transfercase then you don't have the switch in the D-20 to turn the light on.

Only the The D-300 T-case has the switch you need.

you can see it circled in red in this picture of a Dana 300.

However you can adapt the D-300 to the T-18
Do you know what transfer case you have?

Dana 20 has no switch
Unread 01-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
miami-boy
1985 CJ7 

thank you people,
* that has helped me again. at the moment I can not look up that four-wheel gearbox I have installed since the jeep is at the painter unfortunately. but I have the same if the car back in my garage and the assembling is done, a thinking approach!
I will continue to report
thank you people you are really helpful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 01-06-2014, 04:43 PM   #10
miami-boy
1985 CJ7 

hi guys,
i found an old pic from my cj with the four wheel gearbox …. is this a Dana 20 ??? I'm not shure
thanks for your help
regards miami-boy
p1010507-kopie.jpg  
Unread 01-07-2014, 03:32 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yep, that's a Dana 20 Transfer case.

You can tell by the shifter mechanism.

You can also see the two aluminum plugs above the shift rails. on a Dana 300, one is a switch.

Now you may be thinking about screwing in a switch but the surface has to be machined down so the switch can make contact with the rails.
Not even sure if the rails have notches in it for the switch.
Unread 01-07-2014, 05:05 AM   #12
miami-boy
1985 CJ7 

hi John,
thanks for your help! i want to look at the transfer case when the CJ is back from the painter.
Currently I'm doing all Parts to clean the car, to be completed quickly. As surely come lots of questions that I have! Was indeed a three-year project to restore the cj but it is the last souvenir of my father. hey buy the cj in 1986 and he start this restoration project after many years in which the car is driven daily.
thanks to all of you are great here in the forum!
Siggi
Unread 01-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Did your jeep come with a rear fog light?

I've been looking for a picture of one on a CJ.
Unread 01-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #14
miami-boy
1985 CJ7 

Hi John,
no, he had no original fog light. There was once an accessory installed we have then often broken down in the trail because it was built on the crossmember back. he was switched with a post-installed toggle switch.
Unread 01-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

OK Thanks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.