Electric Fuel Pumps (carbureted) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Electric Fuel Pumps (carbureted)

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 11-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
RENEGADECJ-7
1980 CJ7 

Electric Fuel Pumps (carbureted)

Who likes electric fuel pumps for carbureters? What kind and where do to mount them? The crossmember in front of the gas tank seems the most protected place but mounts the pump at the top level of the tank.

RENEGADECJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

I've had a few on mine. First one was a Holley red pump, then I had a BG 220HR pump. Crude setup with a bung welded into the tank

Since the, I've changed again to an Aeromotive A1000 and sumped the tank.

Here you can see my return line setup

And regulators

Dana 30 front with 4.56's/Dana 44 rear with 4.88's
AFRd_CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
SuperSportCJ
1982 CJ7 

I have this one along with a pressure regulator on my 304 with a holley 470 and it works great even in the coldest or hottest of temps. Its quiet too unlike some pumps. I have it mounted with a fuel filter on the cross member that you mentoned and never had an issue with fuel delivery.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...3-2#fragment-2
SuperSportCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
SuperSportCJ
1982 CJ7 

I also have a fuel cutoff switch wired under my dash which is nice when trying to drain the carb, for safety, or even as an antitheft device
Unread 11-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #5
RENEGADECJ-7
1980 CJ7 

How long have you had the airtex pump? I looked at those and wondered how well they hold up. A local mechanic I talked to said external pumps just don't last long. I would want something quiet and reliable.
Unread 11-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
SuperSportCJ
1982 CJ7 

I've had my jeep for a little over 3 years now and it hasnt let me down yet. I rebuilt the engine last fall with larger Comp Cams cam, Edelbrock intake, Holly TA 470, Edelbrock Shorty headers and the Team Rush upgrade. It delivered fuel no problem before and after the rebuild. I drive it daily in winter and a couple times per week in summer.
Unread 11-09-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
A local mechanic I talked to said external pumps just don't last long

Arrested for impersonating a mechanic...
Unread 11-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

We've been running an Aeromotive A1000 on dads Jeep since '06. My A1000 has been on since '08. Never a problem.
I've also got a cutoff switch "somewhere" on my Jeep for a little anti theft security :-)
Just keep in mind, most pump manufacturers want the pumps mounted as close to the tank as possible, and at least at the 1/2 way or lower mark of the tank (most are gravity fed, and you can get priming/pressure issues, as well as burn the pump up).
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
RENEGADECJ-7
1980 CJ7 

Thanks guys. Anyone else?
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Carter electric street pump. Sold at napa as a federal mogul pump using the same part number as Summit, it'll even come out of the federal mogul box wearing a carter sticker. Your counter guy will be amazed after he swears they don't have it.

Been using them for over 20 years with an excellent reliability record, everything from stock motors to hot 400hp V8s. My buddies with holley pumps and airtex pumps all end up with a carter after the others fail. Personally won't install anything else. And they're attractively priced.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Dumped the Denso electric pump and fitted the original mechanical pump after it started cutting in and out. It works as intended with a system that includes the 3 way filter. Totally reliable and one less electrical circuit.

Other CJ still has a Denso electric pump but its days are numbered.

Both electrics worked when mounted in the engine bay just under the brake master cylinder where there is a convenient ledge in RHD next to the incoming petrol pipe.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2011, 05:37 AM   #12
AFRd_CJ5
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Dumped the Denso electric pump and fitted the original mechanical pump after it started cutting in and out. It works as intended with a system that includes the 3 way filter. Totally reliable and one less electrical circuit.

Other CJ still has a Denso electric pump but its days are numbered.

Both electrics worked when mounted in the engine bay just under the brake master cylinder where there is a convenient ledge in RHD next to the incoming petrol pipe.
That may be why your pump stopped working correctly. Most all electric pumps (I know nothing about the Denso pumps, but most are) are "pushers", meaning they are meant to be mounted as close to the tank as possible, and push the fuel up. They can and will burn up quickly being used as "pullers".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.