Electric fan wiring question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Electric fan wiring question

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 01-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
macscal
1978 CJ5 

Electric fan wiring question

Hello all,
I have a question regarding the wiring of an electric fan for a cj5 with a 258. The question is regarding the thermostatic switch. I have two options and need a recommendation:
1- wire the fan using a thermostatic switch threaded into the cooling system (negative trigger through relays) or
2- using thermostatic switch that pushes a probe into the fins of the radiator.

I know how to wire each, but I am not sure which route I should take. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

macscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

I prefer to get temperature information from the coolant, rather than the radiator.

Personal preference, either will work.
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I used a 4.0 thermostat housing and screwed a Painless switch into it. Easy and effective!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
On 'Balck Betty' when I first got 'er she had a radiator fin probe on an existing pusher fan. Over the course of the next two months the downtube next to the probe deveoped a small leak (dissimilar metals, fibration, etc). So I searched for another way, I found this double ported radiator hose sleeve from Summit

and now with my newer Merc Mystique dual fan assy. I am controlling the fans independantly. This cleared up a long standing overheating issue in the summertime and I'm ever grateful to JeepHammer amongst others that lended their support in helping me get a handle on this thing.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:39 PM   #5
macscal
1978 CJ5 

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will be going with the switch plumbed into the cooling system. I really appreciate the information.
macscal is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.