electric fan thermostat switch - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-19-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
1982 CJ8 
electric fan thermostat switch

I finally changed my radiator to a three core aluminum. And while I had the coolant drained, I also did the heater motor upgrade. So with the old copper radiator, I had just directly attached the electric fan to the radiator with those plastic push through mounts. Those suck. Don't use them. They will cause leaks. Anyhoo. The problem was mounting the electric fan. So I get these really simple ideas that I guess no one else gets. So I thought about mounting the fan using two thin bars across the radiator mounts. It seems to work. I'll let you know. I'll also load some pics. Again, anyhoo. The problem I have is with the electric fan thermostat switch. The old radiator was a stock two core, so the copper probe was cut to fit. Now it's not long enough. And you can find the copper probes! You have to buy a new kit. I may have to just find a copper rod and solder. The new radiator has two threaded holes in the bottom for mounts or another cooler or something. Could I just get a sender and bolt it in the bottom of the radiator? I mean, isn't the return water temp what you should really be concerned about with any fan? Just need some input!

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 Old 09-19-2015, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
1982 CJ8 
Here are the fan mounts:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4110.jpg   IMG_4109.jpg  
post #3 of 7 Old 09-20-2015, 12:53 AM
1985 CJ7 
Your two thin metal bar idea may be fine but I would make them out of 1/4" stock and tap them for the bolts. I would then use blue Loctite to secure the bolts that were cut so they did not stick through the bars. I would not want the head of the bolt near my new radiator.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-20-2015, 06:23 AM
1981 CJ5 
Those threaded senders are pretty cheap. I bought one off ebay for $3 not that long ago. I don't know about those ports on the radiator, but I used a common solution- Replaced the CJ thermostat housing with the YJ version. It has a built-in port for a thermostat switch. They were only $10 or so at the local parts store, though the finish was terrible.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-20-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
1982 CJ8 
The spacing between the radiator and the bolt head it 1/4-1/2 inch. I'm confident it will not contact.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-20-2015, 03:25 PM
1978 CJ5 
The fan setup on 'Black Betty' started much like this, except it was a 'pusher' fan. Something I'd consider is a fan shroud, but on some systems that one can forego.

The parts shop that stocks part for Skylab II will not have parts for our year/model of Jeep
We cannot accurately judge the trajectory of a speeding critter (cat, dog, sasquatch)
Record heat waves and floods only occur when we visit that area
post #7 of 7 Old 09-21-2015, 06:25 AM
The 2 threaded holes in the bottom is for a automatic , it is the tranny cooler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.