Electric Choke problem..help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Electric Choke problem..help!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-09-2006, 01:18 AM   #1
sierra1boy

Electric Choke problem..help!

Hey guys,
I just determined that I'm not getting any voltage to my electric choke. How do I issolate and fix this problem? thanks

sierra1boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2006, 03:13 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

First off does your backup lights work? If not then the fuse that supplies power to bothe the backuplights and electric choke is bad.

Next is does your engine have oil pressure? If there is not enough oil pressure then the pressure switch that turn the the electric choke on will not close.

Do you have oil pressure then possibly the oil pressure switch is bad.

The oil pressure switch is the one with the two red wires attached.

There is also the possibility of a broken wire. Get your test light out and start back checking.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
mike4089

where exactly is that oil pressure switch located.....my oil pressure seems to be a little low and i would like to try and check the switch...........
mike4089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
ODJeep
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike4089
where exactly is that oil pressure switch located.....my oil pressure seems to be a little low and i would like to try and check the switch...........
It's on the passenger side of the block between the coil and the firewall.
ODJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
ishcak

John,
When I installed my new harness I took the splice out of the backup lights and electronic choke? I just hooked up my new backup light wires to the backup light and my new electronic choke to the electronic choke.

Am I going to have similar problems.

What should be the voltage at the electronic choke
ishcak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
Aphelion79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra1boy
Hey guys,
I just determined that I'm not getting any voltage to my electric choke. How do I issolate and fix this problem? thanks
4 Banger or I6/V8? BIG Difference depending on which engine...
Dana 30 Front | AMC 20 Rear
Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2006, 04:03 AM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishcak
John,
When I installed my new harness I took the splice out of the backup lights and electronic choke? I just hooked up my new backup light wires to the backup light and my new electronic choke to the electronic choke.

Am I going to have similar problems.

What should be the voltage at the electronic choke
Well there can be any number of ways to Re-Wire it and have it work.

No matter what, you should be getting 12 volts at the electric choke terminal.
Unread 01-10-2006, 04:06 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphelion79
4 Banger or I6/V8? BIG Difference depending on which engine...

There were no V8's with electric chokes that I can recall in a CJ. My diagrams make no differentation between a 4 cylinder and the I6 as far as the electric choke goes.

If you give us the info on the 4 cylinder, that can help others who might be looking into this in the future.
Unread 01-10-2006, 06:17 AM   #9
Matt in TN
1979 CJ7 

My V-8 has an electric choke. Next question is - WHEN should you be getting voltage to the choke? Should it be hot whever the engine is on, or hot only when cold, or what?

[B]'79 CJ-7, 304, T-18a, Dana 20, AMC-20 w/ Yukon 1-piece axles, and Dana-30, 33x12.50x15, 1" Body Lift w/ heavily trimmed fenders, full cage with seats and harnesses, CJ/Wagoneer power steering upgrade, custom front and rear bumpers, body armor, and belly-up skidplate[/B]
In the garage, waiting for hell to freeze over so I can finish the installation: Waggy front D44, AMC M23 rear
Matt in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2006, 07:35 AM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It should be hot anytime the engine is running. THe electrisity just makes the choke open faster to reduce emmisions. There is a temperature control built into the choke heater so it doesn't overheat and ruin the heater.

The heater is a ceramic heater epoxied to a metal plate. This warms ups the bi-metalic spring that opens the choke plate when it gets warm.
Unread 01-11-2006, 10:15 AM   #11
Aphelion79

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk
There were no V8's with electric chokes that I can recall in a CJ. My diagrams make no differentation between a 4 cylinder and the I6 as far as the electric choke goes.

If you give us the info on the 4 cylinder, that can help others who might be looking into this in the future.
Ok, on my 151 w/ Rochester carb. it has the same choke setup on the carb as most other vehicles... the difference is what actually gets the power to the choke pulloff...

I had mine go out on me earlier last year, and figured out that there was this little box on the passengers side wheel well (like right below the stock jack mount and between that and the charcoal canister, I'll get a pic later). Well, that box, from what I could tell (no parts stores could figure out what the heck it was) is a simple ignition relay. When the engine starts, the relay is activated, allowing the full 12V to go into the choke pulloff on the carb. But, like I said, no one could figure out what it was, so we tried various relays with different setups inside, most either didn't get the power to the choke, or actually didn't let the engine turn off when I flipped the key off! Those ones required us to actually unplug the relay for the engine to die...

However, I did eventually find one that worked... conveniently off of some year of Pontiac Fierro (go figure, since this is the exact same engine) which is a Standard Motor Products, Inc. RY144 Relay.

Now if you have seen any of my other posts about choke problems... I simply decided to stop screwing around with it, and installed a manual choke. (The reason I think it stopped working is upon adjusting it every season we finally got it to not sit in there correctly, thus not grounding properly... but I didn't care to buy a new choke pulloff so lol)
Dana 30 Front | AMC 20 Rear
Aphelion79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 01:17 AM   #12
sierra1boy

Hey guys, I back for a couple of quick related questions. Does anyone know which fuse I should be checking...none of the labels say either choke or backup light. I'm working on a 1979 CJ7 with 304 setup.

Also,
Are manual chokes just better? Should I just get one of them instead?
sierra1boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2006, 03:34 AM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Unread 01-20-2006, 03:35 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It's the same fuse as the backup lamp. "BU-SEAT Belt" I think or maybe just "BU".

I use a mechanical choke but I was raised on one so I close it right after the engine starts. Electric ones are great if your lazy.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.