EFI? TBI? Ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > EFI? TBI? Ideas

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

EFI? TBI? Ideas

Im sure this has been thrshed to death but im looking for 'ease' and do-ability in my final solution.

I want tod a junkyard upgrade so I feel I can get a TB from a 4.3 chevy, a spacer, a few sending units, a fuel pump and go woohoo...... OR

I can go to a Cherokee HO and take the head, manifold wiring and do more homework....

I'm not sure how difficult taking a cherokee head and manifold and EFI system is from a Junker and what else would need changing.

Opinoins please.....

thank you!

billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
ButcherJones
1977 CJ5 

howell....
ButcherJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
mtnbikeidaho
1982 CJ7 

If you are registered in Cali, you can't pass smog without a CARB sticker, right? Junkyard is out of the question then.

Otherwise, I went with a 'yard TBI from a 4.3 and love it. Howell is WAAAY overpriced.
mtnbikeidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
carnell
1986 CJ7 

I'm a socal brat and dropped the cash for the MOPAR CARB legal unit and I'm very pleased!

Not cheap but IMO well worth it
carnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
CJ7Sasquatch
1979 CJ7 

How do you go about the junkyard 4.3 conversion?
CJ7Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikeidaho View Post
If you are registered in Cali, you can't pass smog without a CARB sticker, right? Junkyard is out of the question then.

Otherwise, I went with a 'yard TBI from a 4.3 and love it. Howell is WAAAY overpriced.
You may be able to get a smog ref to approve.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 03:48 AM   #7
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Having lived in California for 30 years I can assure you that there are only two options for you. One is the Howell kit and the other is the Hesco MPI kit. BTW its not so much about the enviorment but its big money maker for the state. The state charges big money to test stuff for a CARB sticker. There are better products out there that give you better performance and have lower emissions such as the Afforadable Fuel Injection kit which controls sprak but they did not pay for the testing so its not legal in CA.

BTW if it were me in your shoes I would do the Hesco kit. I have had the Howell kit and its limited since it dosent control ignition. I know I had one on my Jeep. I then went to a Redline TBI kit which controls spark and its light years ahead of the Howell kit. I am now in the process of upgrading to a Redline MPI kit since I now live in a cold weather climate and I want the extra benifits.
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

thanks for all the inputs!
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
mtnbikeidaho
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7Sasquatch View Post
How do you go about the junkyard 4.3 conversion?
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=47254
mtnbikeidaho is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.