The effect of lifts on your steering, drivetrain, etc. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The effect of lifts on your steering, drivetrain, etc.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #31
dariopop
1980 CJ7 

VACJ-7
Thanks works great now! Good info!!!

Unread 03-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #32
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Hooray! It is fixed! That sure is a lot of information condensed into one source! This must have taken you some time to compile all this info. I have seen some of this through out many workshop manuals, but as you know, it is spread out through many pages. We owe you our gratitude for your service and hard work in taking the time to compile this information.
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #33
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

A few months ago I put together an article from the individual responses I've made and the topics that seem to repeat over and over. I finally got finished working on the CJ for long enough to write it.

Over the past 6 months and a deployment, I added several new sections, to include: how leaf suspensions behave (stock setup and with suspension reversal kit) and coil/link suspension.

Be patient, you'll download a PDF article... (updated 18 Sep 11)

Steering-and-suspension-basics

I deleted the resolution XPS version... the two versions took too much room.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.

Last edited by gojeepin; 07-18-2010 at 08:19 PM..
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #34
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

There are many topics related to DW on the JK boards. I think that your article would be very important to share with them. I just went through some DW with my wifes '07 JK, and I finally have it under control. There are so many others out there who are lost and frustrated and could use this valuable information. If you have already done so, then ignore my plea. But if you haven't done so yet, may I suggest that you do?

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #35
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

A few months ago I put together an article from the individual responses I've made and the topics that seem to repeat over and over. I finally got finished working on the CJ for long enough to write it.

Over the past 6 months and a deployment, I added several new sections, to include: how leaf suspensions behave (stock setup and with suspension reversal kit) and coil/link suspension.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.

Last edited by gojeepin; 07-18-2010 at 08:17 PM..
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:23 PM   #36
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I fixed the broken links... I guess I didn't upload the files right last time.

Unread 07-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #37
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is an awesome guide, someone should stick that.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #38
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

excellent write up. glad i found that one
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #39
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Glad you like it. This article, like the other stickies, sometimes get missed.

I seemed to be answering the same questions over and over, so I started making standard answers to paste in replies.

One of the guys in my local club suggested I compile everything I'd put together. So I decided to write the article and add the illustrations to better pass on the info.

I update it periodically.

Unread 12-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #40
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

Can't believe I missed this the first few times around. Fantastic composition Mike. And THANK YOU for your service.
Unread 12-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #41
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Yeah its going to help me considerably, just got my 4" bds kit installed and ive got some vibrations going on in the rear and seem to have lost most of my mechanical trail advantages...
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #42
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow.....can a mod make this a sticky in the YJ section, please? I wish I had known all this before my lift. I think a lot of people want to lift, but don't know what it affects.

Bravo!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #43
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
Wow.....can a mod make this a sticky in the YJ section, please? I wish I had known all this before my lift. I think a lot of people want to lift, but don't know what it affects.

Bravo!
You know, one of the issues I didn't cover was how the NP 231's slip yoke creates problems with higher driveline angles.

I've worked on the NP 231 and any time I've installed a lift, I've also installed in fixed yokes to fix driveline issues.

Since I never address it in the article, I may make it another topic or possibly add it to the driveshaft section.

Unread 09-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #44
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Updated... today. Added some content here and there plus one new section on pitman arm affect on turning radius and the Ackerman angle.

Unread 09-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #45
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin View Post
Updated... today. Added some content here and there plus one new section on pitman arm affect on turning radius and the Ackerman angle.

That's what I don't understand.
I keep hearing about the dropped arm reducing your steering radius. I can still turn far enough to get the tires into the springs (without stops adjusted) with my 4" dropped arm.
Wouldn't most steering boxes go alot farther than the stops will allow? Enough to make up for the shorter throw of the dropped arm? Mine sure does.

BTW...Great read. It helped me alot with my SOA conversion.
skizriz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.