Edelbrock Performer cam - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Edelbrock Performer cam

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
JohnnyRotten
1978 CJ5 

Edelbrock Performer cam

I am considering installing an Edelbrock performer cam in my 360 I'm getting to drop into my CJ5. Is it worth the trouble to install it. How much "seat of the pants" difference is there over stock. I already have the Performer intake and a 600 Holley with headers. Also have the MSD 6a hooked up. Just wanting to get a couple of opinions on if it was worth it to you. Thanks

JohnnyRotten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 06:51 AM   #2
GP_Pete
1986 CJ7 

THat's pretty much the setup I have.

I don't know if the cam alone is going to make a HUGE difference. It will make 'some'. That edelbrock stuff works really well when you use it all together as a system.

I would say go for it.
GP_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
hold24

1978 CJ7 

I have the performer rpm package on my 304 and it made a huge difference in seat of pant's feel. I think it was worth the cam and lifters. With a 360 I bet it's even more noticable.
dsc_0769.jpg  

1979 cj7 Cumberland green Golden Eagle 18k Original miles V8 auto..100% rust free Oregon Jeep..
hold24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
marmaduke

It's quite a simple upgrade, I replaced the timing gears and chain whilst I was at it
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Slapped a Perfromer cam and intake on my 360 when I rebuilt it. The enigine is powerful and idles fine. A cam shaft is like the brain for you engine. A friend of mine who builds drag cars is religious about cam shaft upgrades. To answer your question, "is it worth it?" I'd say yes. There is more to it then just the cam though. Edlebrock says to use "Sure Seat" valve springs with the cam. I also used their performer timing chain and new push rods/rockers (factory replacement rockers and Comp Cams push rods). My cam came with new lifters. Another thing to keep in mind is cam break-in! I have read and been told that flat tappet cams can fail prematurely if they are not broken in properly. Eldlebrock said to run the motor at 2000-2500 RPM for the first 20 min upon initial start up. Also with flat tappet cam break-in you may want to consider buying a bottle of ZDDP addative, bought my ZDDP (by Lucas) at a local auto part/machine shop for about $9. I have seen it on Summit Racing's website also. I think Royal Purple sells a break-in engine oil now too that has ZDDP addative in it already. Good luck!
engine.jpg  

Last edited by timmayham; 05-02-2010 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: added photo
timmayham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

^Or you can just use the Rotella oil.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Was going to run the Performer RPM cam, was talked out of it.
went with a Comp Cams Xtreme energy 4x4 cam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
^Or you can just use the Rotella oil.
X2 absolutely !
Unread 05-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

I have an Xtreme 4x4 cam also. X4270H
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.