Easy question re 78 CJ 6 bolt hubs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Easy question re 78 CJ 6 bolt hubs

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Unread 02-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #1
OldGyrene
Semper Fi
1978 CJ5 

Easy question re 78 CJ 6 bolt hubs

So after putting new shocks, brakes, etc on my 78, I thought I would pull the locking hubs while it was on the stands. I checked my FSM and the net and couldn't find the answer (first time I ever pulled the lock outs off any jeep).

Below are a couple of pics after pulling the outer housing off the 6 bolt hubs.

As I pulled them off there was the outer housing, then an internal gear, then the spring.

On the passenger side (right side of the pic below) the gear and the spring slide right off over what looks like a retaining ring.

Driver side, the "gear" was held on by the retaining ring and the spring was compressed behind it.

So what was going to be an easy "let's clean, inspect and lube the hubs" turned into a WTF moment.

SO:
1. Should the "gear" slide off over the retaining ring ?
2. I'm thinking the springs should be of equal length.?

Is this fixable or am I looking at new locking hubs ?
Any pics of how it should be ?

Thanks in advance ! While I don't post a lot here I have read over 1400 pages in this forum and appreciates everyones expierence and input

EDIT: well, hell, photobucket isn't letting me link, but I'm guessing anyone who has done this knows what I am talking about.

Will try another photo service shortly.

dscf0354.jpg   dscf0355-copy.jpg  
Unread 02-26-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

While this is a picture of 5 bolt lockout, the parts are the same. Items 9 to 15 show the parts and order from outside to in.

Yes, the springs should be the same length and the sliding rings are a unit on the end of the axle shaft held with a snap ring (not pictured)

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Pretty sure the gear and spring should not come off until the clip is removed. Sounds like you may have some worn/damaged parts (not sure if you can get new parts for those hubs anymore but I see used lockouts for sale from time to time). The springs should be the same length, but I don't think a little difference will matter matter much so long as they are strong enough to push the gear out.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 07:16 AM   #4
OldGyrene
Semper Fi
1978 CJ5 

Ed, thanks for the parts picture: I will save that to my files.

Spieg8: that's what I was thinking. Thanks for the info.

So, I am guessing that I can button it back up, minus the spring and sliding gear and drive it while I am waiting for new lock outs ? Can't see where it would hurt anything.

Any recommendations on suppliers ? Mile Marker ? Warn ?
I don't wheel her hard, just snow and mud.
Unread Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #5
Budowski

1978 CJ7 

Hey OldGyrene

This is the only picture I have of mine from a few months ago when I rebuilt the dana 30. Hope this helps. It should have things in order - but I'm no pro and not sure what the PO may have done but this is how things came out. Also check this diagram out

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/wo...6_012734_1.gif
20140802_145314.jpg  
Budowski is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #6
Budowski

1978 CJ7 

You know I re-read your post and mine was similar - different order on the last 3 pieces for the passenger and driver side. That 5 bolt lockout looks very different however. Im really trying to remember how I put it back together. PM if you have any problems and Ill try to get some more pictures or pull my hubs to check.
Budowski is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 08:24 AM   #7
OldGyrene
Semper Fi
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budowski View Post
You know I re-read your post and mine was similar - different order on the last 3 pieces for the passenger and driver side. That 5 bolt lockout looks very different however. Im really trying to remember how I put it back together. PM if you have any problems and Ill try to get some more pictures or pull my hubs to check.
Thanks for the pic and the link. Yeah, I spent some time at the bench yesterday scratching my head over Ed's pic and my setup. The I realized his pic shows it torn down as far as it will go, thus the "extra" washers and circlips.

Ordered some Mile Markers yesterday. We'll see how they work out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.