Easy question from a newbie - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Easy question from a newbie

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 04-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
bears84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Easy question from a newbie

I have an 84 CJ7 with lots of years of good service, with minimal maintenance and repairs. I have just started a basic refurbishing, then will get into rebuild making it nice. Tackling mechanical first, and since I don't know much I found you guys.
Anyway - radiator was leaking, and can't have that here in Phoenix - summer is here. Got new 3-row radiator and put it in. I cut down the spacer between the water pump and fan to allow room there, but now the fan shroud does not fit properly. I could modify it a little, but is it really necessary? Can I live without it or will I regret not having it on there??

What do you think?

bears84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

What spacer did you cut down? Not sure what you are meaning. I hope you're not meaning the harmonic balancer......

As far as the shroud, it is not necessarily needed for it to run properly, but it definitely will help keep fingers and rocks from getting in there easily. You might see a little more heat than running with it, but I think you'd be fine.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Oh, and Go Bears!
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
bears84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

I had purchased an after-market fan several years back when the fan clutch went out. It came with a 2.5" aluminum spacer to position the fan properly between the engine and radiator. Since the new radiator is thicker (and mounts a little further back) the fan was only a half inch or so from it. I had a machine shop cut the aluminum spacer down to about 1.5" to allow a little more room. I don't know what the harmonic balancer is, but I will make sure. Any other thoughts?
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
bears84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Definately not the harmonic balancer. Just an aluminum spacer. Does anyone think I will have a big difference in cooling ability if I leave the fan shroud out?
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bears84CJ7
I had purchased an after-market fan several years back when the fan clutch went out. It came with a 2.5" aluminum spacer to position the fan properly between the engine and radiator. Since the new radiator is thicker (and mounts a little further back) the fan was only a half inch or so from it. I had a machine shop cut the aluminum spacer down to about 1.5" to allow a little more room. I don't know what the harmonic balancer is, but I will make sure. Any other thoughts?
Personally, I'd try and get it on there. Mine has been cracked and a piece removed forever and it's on my to-do list when I put in a new pump and thermostat.
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

You shouldn't see a big difference in the overheating/cooling aspect. At least I wouldn't think. But if you decide you are not going to use it and want to sell it, I'm your man.

jester

"4 wheeling past the third standard deviation from the mean."
Jester77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77
You shouldn't see a big difference in the overheating/cooling aspect. At least I wouldn't think. But if you decide you are not going to use it and want to sell it, I'm your man.

jester
X2 on the overheating/cooling.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.