Unfortuantely the old jeeps have years and years and years and years of owners hacking and cobbling the wiring together. There were no fuse blocks, but some inline fuses. Pretty much you will need to chase all the wires down to see where they terminate. Probably the best thing to do to save sanity if you do not know wiring or like it, is get a new harness and start from scratch. Not much with the older jeeps to rewire them, but most are a nightmare and hardly any are identical.
Yes I thought about getting a new harness or just rewire it, most of the wires i have traced are good
Most Jeeps from that era had a factory circuit breaker built onto the headlight switch.
You could start there and check to see if it's even there.
Otherwise, you're running down the wiring for the lights and the wiring for the blower fan.
By your description, it sounds like you may a circuit breaker that is overloading then resetting .
The blower power feed could simply be connected to the headlight breaker and the creates more amperage draw than what the breaker is rated for, when both are turned on.
You could also have a short in one or both power feed wires, which would trip the circuit breaker.
I don't see this as an ignition wiring problem, but stranger things have been known to happen.
Everything works as it should until it shuts down, didn't think about the headlight switch but it does seem alot is powered from that i will take it back down and check
[quote=jeepdaddy2000;23711698]Do a search for an early CJ and click on images.
As Dan stated, it sounds like somebody cobbled a circuit breaker somewhere in the main wiring loom. You will have to crawl under there and try to find it. The main wiring should run from the battery/alternator/generator to the ignition switch. It may pass through an ammeter (which could be a problem as well), but all the fuses/breakers should be between the ignition switch and the various appliances. There should be no breaker in the primary ignition side, and none of the ECJ's (or early Jeeps for that matter) ran a main breaker.
Shouldnt the engine stay running when the power goes out if there is nothing between the battery and the ignition switch?
This sounds like a short tripping out an auto-reset circuit breaker, which would not have been there. Bad connections and grounds.
Do the lights/blower come on as they should until it shuts down?
Does the charging system sound loaded down while the lights/blower are on?
The alternator does not seem loaded and it is not showing loaded when running on the amp meter someone perviously installed. Never goes above 20-25 amps
I think the circuit breaker on the light switch has been used as the power source for everything else. Originally, that breaker only feed lights and having a short in the lighting harness would not affect the ignition. First thing I would do is try to trace down the source for the ign side of the switch. It should go to the starter as in the diagram posted above. The blower should be wired through the "acc" post on the switch and would have had an in-line fuse. Next, you need to find the short (s) causing the breaker to blow with either lights or blower motor. For the lights, you can disconnect that three post terminal block to help isolate the problem. The blower motor will just be sorting through the rats nest behind the dash. Good luck with your back.
Thats what im trying to figure out where the power is coming into the cab still have to trace a few more wires and hopefully move the power draw off of the ignition side and yes it will be back breaking to finish up. The power wire for the fan was missing, someone put a fuse block down by the clutch so that adds to the mess of tracking down wires. My dad said he changed the ignition switch about 15 yrs ago because it would randomly shut off. so of course he didn't look for the problem, but it also wouldn't randomly shut off after he swapped it out from another Willys he had.
The only problem is the wires connected to the ignition are short and the switch doesn't hang down that far to get a good look at the back of it, but I do see a few connectors with no wires attached to them. Thanks