Early CJ5..... I need help!!!!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Early CJ5..... I need help!!!!!

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Reply
Unread 04-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South West Indiana
Posts: 10,204
Nearly 40 years of vehicle safety have come around since that vehicle was produced.

I'm old enough to remember when even minor crashes produced serious injuries.
There is no reason to expose kids to that this day and age...

Metal dashes are unforgiving when your face slams into them,
Protruding knobs do terrible things to the human body,
Since the frame is inboard about a foot, there is no side protection to speak of,
No air bags, no padding, even if you are belted in the back, a side impact is going to throw you against fairly sharp square metal edges.

All of those sharp corners have been designed out of modern vehicles,
Padded dashes protrude to save your noggin so you don't wind up with a face full of steel and stuff sticking out of the dash... Federal mandates making the vehicles MUCH safer in a lot of ways.

People like me complain about all the 'Plastic' on the new vehicles, but padded dashes have saved a bunch of lives, and they have kept 100,000 times that many from serious disfigurement in the past 30 years.

Let's face it, an old 'Jeep' just wasn't designed for 'Safety' or to be child proof.

A newer Jeep, like a TJ couldn't cost a ton more, and it so much safer for passengers it's not funny.
I keep mine because it's mostly steel, simple and doesn't rot away when I leave the top off year around,
But I know what I'm getting myself into...

JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
teh603
Registered User
1963 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 305
JeepHammer, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Forty years of improved car safety hasn't changed the fact that we lose more people in one year to car wrecks than that year's gun violence and the entire Vietnam war put together. Adding more "safety" features won't change it. Having all cars driven by GPS controllers with no manual option won't change it, because the GPS might confuse a boat ramp for a bridge like it does in England.

And don't even think about trying to mount ones that could make a difference, like mandatory breathalyzers or speed governors that can physically stop a car from breaking the posted speed limit. That would go the way of red light cameras because it'd infringe on the populace's self-given Right to Ignore the Law.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
Shiftace
Registered User
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NW Washington
Posts: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by robagwehttam View Post
I have a 1973 CJ5 with a fully rebuilt 340 v8- this isn't a typo- and 3 spd. Along with this Jeep I have a very safety conscious wife and an 11 month old daughter. Kind of selfishly I bought the Jeep on a whim - I had a limited chance and I jumped on it (wouldn't you). The problem I have run into now is we have one family car and my Jeep and should I ever need have to my wife and I don't feel safe with the baby riding in it. My daughter definitely comes first.
You already sound smart enough to be a CJ owner.
There are many modifications that you can do to increase personal safety for those that can comprehend the situation. Unfortunately children don't fit the bill.
__________________
[QUOTE=gpets;10833372]...it is perfectly acceptable to take a sawzall to anything you can't figure out, that is how we all learn.[/QUOTE]


[url]http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/322261cd73/why-internet-commenters-will-eventually-end-the-world[/url]
Shiftace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
Pathkiller
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lorton, VA
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
JeepHammer, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Forty years of improved car safety hasn't changed the fact that we lose more people in one year to car wrecks than that year's gun violence and the entire Vietnam war put together. Adding more "safety" features won't change it. Having all cars driven by GPS controllers with no manual option won't change it, because the GPS might confuse a boat ramp for a bridge like it does in England.

And don't even think about trying to mount ones that could make a difference, like mandatory breathalyzers or speed governors that can physically stop a car from breaking the posted speed limit. That would go the way of red light cameras because it'd infringe on the populace's self-given Right to Ignore the Law.
I'm not really clear on the point you're trying to make, but if you're arguing that 2013 vehicles are no more safe than 1973 vehicles, you're way off base. Data from the IIHS on fatal vehicle accidents clearly show that the likelihood of dying in a car crash has steadily declined since the advent of modern safety equipment. The very first sentence of their 2011 vehicle fatalities report says "Dying in a crash has become much less likely than it used to be for people in all types of passenger vehicles." http://www.iihs.org/externaldata/srdata/docs/sr4605.pdf
__________________
74 CJ5 complete frame off restoration
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #20
Pathkiller
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lorton, VA
Posts: 2,564
Furthermore: "32,885 people died in motor vehicle crashes in 2010." Source: http://www.iihs.org/research/default.aspx#FF

There were just over 58,000 American fatalities during the Vietnam War.

According to the CDC there are about 30,000 gun-related deaths in the US per year. So that's about 88,000 gun and Vietnam War deaths annually compared to 32,885 vehicle fatalities. Not even close to the "fact" you claim about vehicle fatalities being more than those two sources combined.

Thanks for the "facts" but next time spend 5 minutes Googling the "facts" before presenting them as truth.
__________________
74 CJ5 complete frame off restoration
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
teh603
Registered User
1963 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
I'm not really clear on the point you're trying to make, but if you're arguing that 2013 vehicles are no more safe than 1973 vehicles, you're way off base. Data from the IIHS on fatal vehicle accidents clearly show that the likelihood of dying in a car crash has steadily declined since the advent of modern safety equipment. The very first sentence of their 2011 vehicle fatalities report says "Dying in a crash has become much less likely than it used to be for people in all types of passenger vehicles." http://www.iihs.org/externaldata/srdata/docs/sr4605.pdf
Well, enjoy sticking up for the incompetent drivers, drunks, stoners, and scofflaws. They're not going to stick up for you, but they'll be happy to run you off the road at extremely high speed and kill you dead.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #22
NExOBLIVISCARIS
Registered User
1970 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: san dimas, california
Posts: 209
im going to go out on a limb and say get a dd and keep it as a fun weekend car, my fondest memories as a child was riding in my dads cj7 golden eagle going down to the private airport, by the side street and racing the propeler planes taking off, or cruising up and down the street by the golf course and searching for golf balls in it, its a car that just produces memories. just remember that it is not a safe car. right now i drive the 1970 cj5 more then my dodge charger, its just more fun, but i dont drive like my charger, i drive it like its about to flip over every turn, and with 4 people in the car i sometimes do have to drive it like that.

overall its your call, i would say keep it
__________________
Jeepy (G-P) 1970 CJ-5 Renegade I, t86 with warn overdrive with a dana 18 , 4.88 rear end and a auburn pro series limited slip.
NExOBLIVISCARIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #23
NExOBLIVISCARIS
Registered User
1970 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: san dimas, california
Posts: 209
and calm down people no need to have a heated argument with each other, lets just anser the dudes question with our own responses
__________________
Jeepy (G-P) 1970 CJ-5 Renegade I, t86 with warn overdrive with a dana 18 , 4.88 rear end and a auburn pro series limited slip.
NExOBLIVISCARIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #24
69willys
Registered User
1969 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 66
My father has had two accidents, 2 roll overs one highway one trail both side over side or just on to the side for the occasion on the trail and all four incidences the 60 CJ5 kept us safe and was drivable afterwards with minor needs for repair and body work. a good bumper a decent seat belt system and a better then average roll bar set up not a SPORTS BAR and you'll be fine. I have been in jeeps since I was 4 months old and my sister in a car seat, my brother and myself at 1, 4, 6 when we rolled in the hills in Northern California, my father is not uneducated nor did he not have our best interests in mind it was a freak rock on a very simple tail that gave way. We were fine the jeep was fine and after righting her with the help of the 4x4 club we were with he drove it home. So please don't be shy of having a great vehicle in your family. Understand the limitations, don't add a huge lift to it and be easy on the throttle you'll be fine and you'll keep a piece of American heritage in your family for years to come. My family started with one jeep and has grown to 5 over the years. If your using like you say you'll be fine.

Also a Warn overdrive should attache to you're three speed and give you a wider range of gear selections making it both more fun on the trail and economical on the road. All of our families Jeeps are trail head runners and this has always proved to be a good way to go for us.
60 Willy's, 69 Willy's, 72 CJ and counting.
69willys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #25
Pathkiller
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lorton, VA
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Well, enjoy sticking up for the incompetent drivers, drunks, stoners, and scofflaws. They're not going to stick up for you, but they'll be happy to run you off the road at extremely high speed and kill you dead.
Riiiiiight. Because my pointing out that vehicles are safer than ever and your "facts" are completely bogus is in some way endorsing incompetent drivers to run amok on chemical-fueled vehicular killing sprees. That kind of logic makes perfect sense.
__________________
74 CJ5 complete frame off restoration
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #26
robagwehttam
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: chattanooga, TN
Posts: 6
Thanks everybody! I will just have to get rid of it I guess.

Let me know if anybody is interested. I have tons of pictures to send. Asking $11,000.

Located in Chattanooga, TN.
robagwehttam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #27
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South West Indiana
Posts: 10,204
I don't want a heated argument either...

I take the nephews on rides around town once in a while, but I'm super cautious about things with a kid in the vehicle since there is so little protection, and the vehicle wasn't built for kids.
The one they like to ride in is also a '73.

One thing to remember, in '73, the 'Jeep' was still a 'Utility Truck' and was exempt from even the 'Passenger Car' regulations for safety.
The only 'Safety' features my '73 CJ have are the sport bar, seat belts and collapsible steering column.

The sport bar *Might* save you if you turn over gently, but we've all seen what happens to them when they impact sideways with a good amount of force.

Seat belts will do a lot to keep you in the vehicle, but with no shoulder straps, they wouldn't do much for a kid,
And they would do nothing for a side impact.

You have to remember, in '73, back seat belts were optional (along with the back seat).

'73 has low back buckets, no head rests, no whiplash protection. I've been whiplashed a couple of times in my current '73 in the past 6 or 7 years (mostly backing into things I shouldn't have, or playing 'Bumper Tag' with my buddies)...
It doesn't take much of a jolt from the rear to REALLY shake your world up with those low back buckets.

'73 still has a hard steering wheel, not a collapsible steering wheel like the newer models.
I wouldn't want to take that hard steering wheel with no center padding to the face in the event of a front end collision...

I personally (opinion, so don't flame me) don't think the older CJ's are safe at highway speeds, just too much metal and too many things that can go wrong.
There is a reason the older CJs because the 'Wide Track' and longer wheel base versions we have today.

Between steering problems, short/narrow wheel base, and lack of padding/safety features I'm VERY aware of the stuff that can go wrong.

I don't subject kids to high speed traffic in my Jeep, and anyone that puts a kid on the passenger side without a full cage and safety seat sized for a kid is just asking for trouble.
Nothing wrong with taking a kid wheeling, I'm not saying that.
I'm saying if you spend $2,000 on tires, gears, chrome,
Why not spend a few bucks on the cage, reasonable seat with some side protection and kid size belts,
And at least a biking helmet for the kid...
Little heads/necks with developing brains are MUCH easier to damage than some thick skulls and fully developed necks most of us have...
(And there are some SERIOUSLY thick skulls in the group that wheels around here )

I see it every holiday weekend in the off road parks around here,
Kids bouncing around in the back seats, no roll protection, no helmets, no seat belts...

The trail patrol (usually with a deputy sheriff in the vehicle) has to take drunken wheelers off the trail and tell people to strap their kids in just about every day.

Folks letting their kids go ripping around on bikes and 4 wheelers with no helmets exceeding the speed limits, jumping crossings of trails, coming at you the wrong way on the trails around blind curves, ect.

-------------------

The other thing about driving such a narrow Jeep is people don't think they need to cross the center line when they pass you,
Many times I've had people, from small pickups to tractor & trailers pass me without getting over the center line.
I get crowded off on the shoulder or in the grass to get away from them.
Since I'm not using but about half the lane, they think the other half of MY LANE is free to pass me in...
(Same deal when riding my motorcycle).

People pull right out in front of you since you are 'Small' and they think you can slow down or stop because you are 'Small'...

-------------------

It's up to you, what you think is safe, but if it were my kids, anything other than rides around the farm or the occasional ride in the Jeep around side streets in town would be ruled out since I don't want to be responsible for a kid getting hurt, even if we ruled out the drunks, stoned, people that ignore stop signs/lights, ect.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #28
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South West Indiana
Posts: 10,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by robagwehttam View Post
Thanks everybody! I will just have to get rid of it I guess.

Let me know if anybody is interested. I have tons of pictures to send. Asking $11,000.

Located in Chattanooga, TN.
It had better be one heck of a vehicle for $11,000...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #29
robagwehttam
Registered User
1973 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: chattanooga, TN
Posts: 6
Thank you. It is.
robagwehttam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #30
SKT
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Location:
Posts: 5,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by robagwehttam
Thank you. It is.
Then post some pics here.

Let's see it...
__________________
1981 CJ-7: Fresh 304, NV4500, Twin Stick Dana 300, Dual Tops, 33" Mud Terrains, etc.

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
cj5 , family , jeep , safety , v8

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.