Early CJ Drum Brake Help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Early CJ Drum Brake Help

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 07-23-2009, 12:58 AM   #16
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I ordered one from Morris4x4 and it came with the cable that has the bolt on bracket, I needed the spring clip style. I returned it and they sent me the correct one for my application. I had one in my hand less than 3 months ago so I am sure you should be able to still get one from them. I had talked to them on the phone and they pulled both parts to compare while I was on the line with them. I had also sent them a photo for both. Maybe I still have a photo of the bracket style part that has the part number showing. I'll take a look and post it if I can find it. Either way, call Morris4x4 and they should have what you need. I can look on my reciepts for the part number if needed.

Edit: It doesn't have the part number but at least you can confirm if this is the correct style.

Last edited by Coiz; 07-23-2009 at 01:18 AM..
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #17
new cal shooter
1978 CJ5 

Did you change out your master cylinder? I have a 78 cj5 with 11" rear, front disk have a 1'' master cylinder, supposed to have a 1 1/16" master cylinder piston for the 11" Problem was my jeep came with the smaller piston MC and the push rod did not come with the new larger / correct master cylinder for 11" rear drums. If you do change out the master I would be really interested to know what you find, I was unable to find a pushrod to fit the 1 - 1/16" master so i went with a 1" for the 10" rears and it came with a push rod installed, drove me nuts and i oredered 4 different MC's finally found the one with that was NEW not rebuilt unfortunatly it was made in China, but no leaks, smooth reserve top, and one time installation, i have heard stories about 2-3 installations attempting to find on that works.

Good luck!
new cal shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
58D_CavScout
1979 CJ7 

No, I didn't change the master cylinder. The breaks appear to be working fine so far. Are you saying that a master cylinder designed to work with the 10" drums are not designed to be able to actuate the 11" drums. If this is true, I did not realize it.
Unread 07-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
new cal shooter
1978 CJ5 

Not sure, but mine seems to be missing just a bit of preassure, so maybe that 1/16" extra piston diameter may help
new cal shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #20
Eighty8mike
1977 CJ5 

Here is a question for anyone! I have a 77 CJ 5. Since I got the jeep in 08 my parking brake has never been connected. I am now attempting to do that. Seems like I am missing something! I have the connector and the 3 cables required. But for whatever reason it doesn't fit! I would really love to see a diagram of how they are suppose to connect. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get!
Eighty8mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.