Early CJ Drum Brake Help - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Early CJ Drum Brake Help

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 07-22-2009, 11:58 PM   #16
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I ordered one from Morris4x4 and it came with the cable that has the bolt on bracket, I needed the spring clip style. I returned it and they sent me the correct one for my application. I had one in my hand less than 3 months ago so I am sure you should be able to still get one from them. I had talked to them on the phone and they pulled both parts to compare while I was on the line with them. I had also sent them a photo for both. Maybe I still have a photo of the bracket style part that has the part number showing. I'll take a look and post it if I can find it. Either way, call Morris4x4 and they should have what you need. I can look on my reciepts for the part number if needed.

Edit: It doesn't have the part number but at least you can confirm if this is the correct style.

Last edited by Coiz; 07-23-2009 at 12:18 AM..
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #17
new cal shooter
1978 CJ5 

Did you change out your master cylinder? I have a 78 cj5 with 11" rear, front disk have a 1'' master cylinder, supposed to have a 1 1/16" master cylinder piston for the 11" Problem was my jeep came with the smaller piston MC and the push rod did not come with the new larger / correct master cylinder for 11" rear drums. If you do change out the master I would be really interested to know what you find, I was unable to find a pushrod to fit the 1 - 1/16" master so i went with a 1" for the 10" rears and it came with a push rod installed, drove me nuts and i oredered 4 different MC's finally found the one with that was NEW not rebuilt unfortunatly it was made in China, but no leaks, smooth reserve top, and one time installation, i have heard stories about 2-3 installations attempting to find on that works.

Good luck!
new cal shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #18
58D_CavScout
1979 CJ7 

No, I didn't change the master cylinder. The breaks appear to be working fine so far. Are you saying that a master cylinder designed to work with the 10" drums are not designed to be able to actuate the 11" drums. If this is true, I did not realize it.
Unread 07-28-2009, 09:19 AM   #19
new cal shooter
1978 CJ5 

Not sure, but mine seems to be missing just a bit of preassure, so maybe that 1/16" extra piston diameter may help
new cal shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #20
Eighty8mike
1977 CJ5 

Here is a question for anyone! I have a 77 CJ 5. Since I got the jeep in 08 my parking brake has never been connected. I am now attempting to do that. Seems like I am missing something! I have the connector and the 3 cables required. But for whatever reason it doesn't fit! I would really love to see a diagram of how they are suppose to connect. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get!
Eighty8mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.