Durango steering gear question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Durango steering gear question.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Durango steering gear question.

Before I pull the trigger on a box from a 88 4x4 V8 durango, 30k miles on it, I am also going to order a Rugged Ridge HD bracket and brace combo to mount it up since I have it off.
My bell coupling also leaves a lot to be desired, torn boot and all.

Do I also order a replacement JEEP bell coupler with it?

Anybody see any problems using the box with the HD bracket and brace?

Are the splines for the pitman arm the same? I have a 4" dropped.

All of the information I could find was for newer Jeeps. Just wanted to get as much info as I can before I start tearing my steering apart.

skizriz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

I have done alot of research on this as I plan to do the same if my box turns out to be bad. I assume you mean 98 durango not 88.

The splines for the pitman arm are the same. The input shaft for the steering shaft on the Durango box should 3/4" - 36 spline. So you would need to buy a coupler from a manual steering CJ. But someone on here got a Durango box that only had 30 spline. So before you order your new shaft and coupler get the box first to be sure of your spline count.

As for the HD bracket I don't see why it should not fit. The only thing is the Durango Box has 3 bolt were the CJ has 4 bolts on the steering box.

Edit: I just noticed you have a 79 CJ7. If you have power steering from that year you will need to get hose made. The Durango Box has o-rings on hose fittings, and the 79 had flange fittings. Or you could get a Power Steering box from a 82 or newer.
waterdowg is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
nsargeant
1974 CJ5 

I just did this swap on my 74cj5 and will give you as much info as i can. I do think that the splines on the pitman arm are the same. The splines were the same as a 74 cj with power steering. The biggest problem i think you might run into is that the splines on the steering box shaft of the durango box is 3/4" - 30 spline. You aren't going to find a bell coupler that will fit that.(at least I don't think so). There are a lot of post on here and other sites that say that a manual steering bell coupler will fit over it. That may be so in some cases, but mine it wasn't. It was a 3/4"- 36 spline. To alleviate that I bought a borgenson steering shaft with the right u-joint on each end and that fixed my problem.

nathan
nsargeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

My head has been so jumbled up with numbers lately. 98.

The Jeeps a 78, but I swapped to power steering 11 years ago and have no idea what year the box came off of. I put it on when I tore it down, and it had been sitting ever since.
I've been logging a lot of miles since getting it back on the road this summer, and a steering gear overhaul will be my winter project.

I guess I'll wait to get the box before ordering a coupler. I still have my manual box in the garage, so I'll compare splines to see which one I need.

I'll also have to wait and see on the hoses. I have a local company that custom makes hydraulic hoses, so getting whatever I need made shouldn't be a problem.

I hope my stock pump can handle the box ok.
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Thanks Nathan.
I haven't ruled out a new shaft also. Might as well do it from top to bottom. Just have to wait until I see how the funds hold up after Christmas for that.
But with no top, and winter coming, I have plenty of time.

Do you think it is worth the hassle?? Or take the easy route and drop on another Jeep box? Mine is sloppy and leaks like a sieve.
I was going with the Durango box because it has low miles, and it's $75.
I also hear they make a noticable difference in road manners.
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Like Nathan said he got a box with 30 spline, others claim to have gotten bows with 36 spline so some were there is a difference in box production.
As for the hoses, when you remove yours from the box you will see if it has o-rings or flanges. The Stock pump should be fine.
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
nsargeant
1974 CJ5 

skizriz,

i think the pump i had came out of a 87 wrangler and it doesn't seem like it has any problems. I will say that the borgenson steering shaft is really nice as were the people i talked to when I ordered it.

nathan
nsargeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Thanks guys.

Hopefully I'll be able to report back in the spring as to how it turned out.

Now to start collecting parts. One of my favorite hobbies.
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

Once you get your durango box post how many spline it is. I'm interested....
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I may pick up the box this weekend. I'll post it up if I do.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.